Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 1/4 inch plywood boat design

Team Member

Default Whatever you did worked lol

Quote Originally Posted by champ20B View Post
    QUOTE=champ20B;136627]Hi Mr.Hill...
    That looks like a very nice propeller. My brother has pics that I will try to post later of the A/B runabout that I designed and recently built. It meets current rules for A,B (stock and mod)...as well as 25SSR if a Hotrod 20 is used. It is 44" wide and 10'2" in length. It is the only one of it's kind and is extremely dynamic. I based certain aspects of the hull design on the SR-71 jet plane that broke MACH-3!! This is a beautiful boat built of all wood. It has a pecan stain finish with dark metallic blue contrasts on the bottom and cockpit sides. The windshield is of my own making, again based on a fighter-plane design, made from LEXAN polycarbon plexiglass. The throttle is a restored Wilcox-Criditten with push button lock. I hope that I will be able to post it on here soon to show this boat. All I have for a wheel is a 2-blade prop that I reworked. It took me a real long time to do all of this because of limited resources. I had to do all of my own stuff on it, including the steering. It also has an adjustable height transom (not adjustable under way). More to come later, hopefully.
    I'm trying to put pics of my raceboat on here, but I can't get nothing to work. Any tips would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I see the pics and it's a great looking craft! What do you get for speeds?

Team Member

Default thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tyst67 View Post
    I'm trying to put pics of my raceboat on here, but I can't get nothing to work. Any tips would be appreciated.
    I see the pics and it's a great looking craft! What do you get for speeds?[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much! Unfortunately, I have only float tested it so far. It holds up great! with the motor pictured, the water level does not go over the slice where the chine and deck joins. I am 185lbs, and when I get in it, it only goes down a couple inches over the rear of the slice, which is just right for bouyancy. She weighs just under 120. I still have to wire up a safety cut off switch though, and I need to save up $$ for a proper safety-jacket and helmet before I can ever test it safely, because I don't know what to expect from it. I hope to get around 65mph or so, tops. I'm going to video it when I do. I wish I knew exactly where to place the turn fin. I estimated on that as I was told it would be trial and error. Thats why I'm nervous about running it without good safety gear yet.

Team Member

I see the pics and it's a great looking craft! What do you get for speeds?
    Thanks very much! Unfortunately, I have only float tested it so far. It holds up great! with the motor pictured, the water level does not go over the slice where the chine and deck joins. I am 185lbs, and when I get in it, it only goes down a couple inches over the rear of the slice, which is just right for bouyancy. She weighs just under 120. I still have to wire up a safety cut off switch though, and I need to save up $$ for a proper safety-jacket and helmet before I can ever test it safely, because I don't know what to expect from it. I hope to get around 65mph or so, tops. I'm going to video it when I do. I wish I knew exactly where to place the turn fin. I estimated on that as I was told it would be trial and error. Thats why I'm nervous about running it without good safety gear yet.[/QUOTE]

I don't really know where the turn fin should go but if I were you I would make sure it was razor sharp! Zero resistance and zero slippage is the key! I know that's impossible but every little thing will slow you down! You will do just perfect on the maiden voyage, just make sure the water is calm! Remember, setback gives you hole shot and bow lift! Pm me if you want to talk boating

Team Member

Default finally tested

Thanks very much! Unfortunately, I have only float tested it so far. It holds up great! with the motor pictured, the water level does not go over the slice where the chine and deck joins. I am 185lbs, and when I get in it, it only goes down a couple inches over the rear of the slice, which is just right for bouyancy. She weighs just under 120. I still have to wire up a safety cut off switch though, and I need to save up $$ for a proper safety-jacket and helmet before I can ever test it safely, because I don't know what to expect from it. I hope to get around 65mph or so, tops. I'm going to video it when I do. I wish I knew exactly where to place the turn fin. I estimated on that as I was told it would be trial and error. Thats why I'm nervous about running it without good safety gear yet.
    I don't really know where the turn fin should go but if I were you I would make sure it was razor sharp! Zero resistance and zero slippage is the key! I know that's impossible but every little thing will slow you down! You will do just perfect on the maiden voyage, just make sure the water is calm! Remember, setback gives you hole shot and bow lift! Pm me if you want to talk boating[/QUOTE]

Well, I tested her today! I just bit the bullet, borrowed a PWC jacket from my neighbor and tried her out. It ran a bit rich at first, and my cheap digital tach went out of wack, but my GPS read a staggering 70.2 MPH!!! Thats with an old pitched up, cupped 2 Blade prop!! It took a good bit to get there as that motor was running like the devil!! With a better prop and expansion chambers, I might get close to the record!! After exchanging opinions with ron hill about it though, I think I decided that this isn't a sport I'm so sure want to get into amongst other things. You know, It's like the old small town masons lodge or more like the neighborhood kids clubhouse thing. It seems like a old timers party where few will offer you a seat at the card table. If I won a race, I wouldn't doubt there would be a few along the way, in charge, who would try their best to find a reason not to award me my victory! However, I would like to enjoy a good exciting hobby that is fairly affordable for the average guy like me, for fun. I think it's funny though, some of these guys that race these little boats really take on a BIG SHOT and SNUBBY attitude about this stuff!! I have had enough of that at work and daily life to have to endure that with a pastime. Oh well, I'm new to this. Maybe I wouldn't make the hall of fame, LOL, but I could have had a good time once a year with it. Fancy materials, family legacy's or name brands dont make a winning hull anyway, it's mother nature and her laws of physics demanding great dynamics and durable design. It really stinks though that even in something like this, a simple 10' racer, one runs into people that want to give a hard time or cut one down trying to start out as best they can, by insulting their work, (Home Depot Boat-Soap Box Derby sort etc.). I sold a 115 merc two months ago and I was aiming to see if Mr. Hill would help to design a custom prop for my rig for a reasonable deal, as it would need to be very specific for a Modified-class (Y-80 runabout). But I guess I'll ask elswhere to get one made later on. I need to get it to run proven competitive speed in case I decide to just get rid of it, so I can get my moneys worth out of it. I have a buddy of mine who has first dibs on it if I sell it and I want it to be set up right when I do. Then I'll find something better to do with my time instead I suppose, like just fishing. I think between the rules and disputes thereof in racing I keep reading about, and having the administrator of a forum about this stuff deliberately belittle my project when I showed it to him, I am already ready to retire from this before even starting LOL!! Its not like this would ever put money in my pocket. I deal with nonsense to make money, not to spend it to build up on. Anyway, I really like the boat you built!! I want to build one like it instead of what I have now. I'll bet it would make a great high performance Bass Boat that could be run with one of those new 60 horsepower mercury racers out now! Thats an idea, a boat like yours with a 60 mercury formula racer outboard!! Maybe, just maybe racing is not a good thing for me, but I can get a exciting ride to my favorite fishing grounds instead with the right rig!! I'm Outta Here!! Have a good one!!

Team Member

What motor are you running now?

Jeff

Team Member

[QUOTE=champ20B;136741]

That is the beauty of my boat, I use it for fishing and when I want to race I just change props! I can beat a few of the 60hp triples up here now! I am knocking on the others doorsteps! They have so much potential but the 60'S around here only run around 60. I would love to try one on my boat and let it scream! Build one and I will help you every step of the way! You will do a beautiful job and if like to see my design expand around!

Team Member

Default boat ideas

[QUOTE=tyst67;136749]

That is the beauty of my boat, I use it for fishing and when I want to race I just change props! I can beat a few of the 60hp triples up here now! I am knocking on the others doorsteps! They have so much potential but the 60'S around here only run around 60. I would love to try one on my boat and let it scream! Build one and I will help you every step of the way! You will do a beautiful job and if like to see my design expand around!
    Your design should become one of the standards in the wood hull variety of recreational/high-performance categories. It would make an excellent feature in the Wooden Boat Magazine publications. I used to read them often when I was in high school and still do from time to time. You should submit your story of how you designed and built this and send pics to the publication and offer plans for your boat to sell. It would likely be a hit!!

Default Submit Your Speed, Next Spring

[QUOTE=champ20B;136753]

Your design should become one of the standards in the wood hull variety of recreational/high-performance categories. It would make an excellent feature in the Wooden Boat Magazine publications. I used to read them often when I was in high school and still do from time to time. You should submit your story of how you designed and built this and send pics to the publication and offer plans for your boat to sell. It would likely be a hit!!

I think it would b cool if you drew up some plans and a bill of material. And then posted them of BRF, but sell the plans, also. What do you call this boat besides My 1/4 Ply Wood Boat???? Or is that name?

ALSO, please wear a Personal Flotation device when you play with your boat.

Well, I tested her today! I just bit the bullet, borrowed a PWC jacket from my neighbor and tried her out. It ran a bit rich at first, and my cheap digital tach went out of wack, but my GPS read a staggering 70.2 MPH!!! Thats with an old pitched up, cupped 2 Blade prop!! It took a good bit to get there as that motor was running like the devil!! With a better prop and expansion chambers, I might get close to the record!! ...............[/QUOTE]

That is a nice looking rig with interesting lines and an impressive speed for a Y80 on a runabout. I would appreciate some specifics:

1 What is max ignition advance set at and did you set it with a buzz box and a depth micrometer or other method - explain?
    2 What spark plugs are in the engine? The heads look like the OEM 18mm plug size.
    3 Do you have cylindere compression readings?
    4 What is prop pitch and diameter and engine rpm for that 70 mph run?
    5 What is the distance from the boat bottom to the center of the prop shaft at the prop nut end?
    6 Are you running the prop shaft tucked in or out?

When you get a video of it running please post it.

Thanks
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations" Tom Megliozzi, The "Click" of Clack, R.I.P.

Team Member

Default Boat Plans

[QUOTE=Ron Hill;136755]

I think it would b cool if you drew up some plans and a bill of material. And then posted them of BRF, but sell the plans, also. What do you call this boat besides My 1/4 Ply Wood Boat???? Or is that name?

ALSO, please wear a Personal Flotation device when you play with your boat.
    I built 3 boats this year and and it cost between $300 and $350 for materials per boat. I would love for some of the guys on brf's to try these boats. i would like to try a big 59ci mercury on this boat and see what speeds i could get. i will put the materials on here in the next few days and i would like to get some interest!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information