Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molly Bee???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Molly Bee???

Anyone remember Molly Ballou ?
    She used to run outboard drags in what appeared to be Jones type cabover hulls, with single and twin stackers. Wasn't she from California somewhere??

Pics of those old O/B drag boats here would be really cool to see.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 04-06-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Called Molly About A Month Ago...

When I was trying to figure out how APBA was scoring laps for Series Races, I called Molly for two reasons: 1. I told her I wanted an interview and to take pictures of her pictures and 2. How would she score laps when a race is stopped???

We had a great talk, and I promised to viisit her in a month or two...The first m month is up, so I have a month to keep my word...

I've pretty sure Molly Bleu was the first woman to ever go over 100 in an outboard...and in a quarter mile...Twin In-Line six Mercury Engines, Ron Jones cabover hydro. Molly and her late husband Ken, owned a Mercury Dealership in Hemet, California. The business is gone, but Molly lives on the property...grows Christmas Trees...

I told her, maybe, I go get George may and bring him along...kill two birds with one stone...George and Molly were great officials..neither would back down from the other...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-06-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Molly Ballou - she was awesome.

To restart a series or marathon race properly after a stoppage (When computer sensors are not available), Molly would probably do what she always did at her marathons: Require that each boat have it's own scorer, seated at the judges stand and always sitting in the order their boat was running. Each scorer would be responsible for checking the sheet of the scorer beside him/her - and change positions accordingly.

Molly called this "Musical Chairs".

If we'd do this at all long events, we'd never have a restart problem. And line up order would be available in an instant. But that would mean each boat would be responsible to bring his own person to sit on the hot seat and count laps. But I don't think it would be too hard. It never seemed to be a problem at Havasu or Parker.

And it would sure help the announcers too. They'd know the exact top 15 at any given moment, just by glancing at the scorers and reading the numbers hanging around their necks. As it is now, its often impossible to know who is beyond the top 5 especially when lapped traffic starts to intermingle with them. I was told that this is how NASCAR has done it for quite a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Molly Bee Pic

This was a "tame" version of what I remember her running. This rig only has 1 engine !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Look Again...

Great picture, but those are both twin engine rigs... The Chrysler is Gary Ferguson... The twin engine Merc was driven by Tinker Collinge and he made his best pass at 118 plus...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-26-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Molly "Bee" Ballou

I met Molly 01-13-08. I ride a motorcycle and at a stop during our ride, I had an electrical problem and my bike wouldn't start. It happened to be where Molly works at the age of 79! During my 4 hour wait for help to arrive, we talked and shared "war stories". She told me all about her boat racing, single outboard motor, her achievements and years of involvement with herself and her then husband Ken who has since passed on. I was taken aback and thought her racing boats at a time when women just didn't do that, was awesome. She also mentioned someone named Kip, or Tink, or something along those lines. She was very very modest and humble about the whole thing. She was impressed that I, as a female, ride a motorcycle. She said "I would never do that. Its so dangerous". hahahaha Go figure that one. Anyway, just thought I'd share this with anyone who knew her or knew about her and might be interested. Here is a picture taken 01-13-08. On the left of me is a security guard, I'm in the middle, and little Miss Molly is on the right. She is a very sweet woman and gets along quite well and still works at the age of 79. AWESOME!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Debbie:

I always wondered what Molly looked like, as Ron has written alot about her, showed her props, and etc.

I'm wondering if "Tink" is Tinker Collier, who helped Ron deliver my daughters new hydro last summer. Don't be a stranger around here, and thanks for sharing. If you ever wanna climb down off that bike and go for a boat ride where you only turn left, look us up!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really Cool Molly Bee page.........

http://www.powercatboat.com/ODBR/1972_MB.html
    Along with a pile of other cool outboard drag hydro record holders
    : http://www.powercatboat.com/ODBR/ODBR.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Just Got Word We Lost Molly Ballou Last Month

I got word, today, that Molly Ballou passed away on the 20th of November, 2013. Molly was the first woman to ever go over 100 MPH in an OUTBOARD!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another piece of history gone, but will never be forgotten. One of my favourite friends, along with Kenny.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Thread Information