Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fa-90

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost smells like the case has been surfaced at some point over the years. Pull the crank out, bolt the cases together and then install the lower bearing carrier. See if the aft face of the bearing carrier is flush with the aft face of the crankcase when they are assembled......

??????

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I did all of that, the bearing carrier fit properly with the case many times during the shimming process. The gasket was on, I guess I'll start over. Might have a chance to look at it today. Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Brandon
    I do not know if this has an effect on your current problem but it looks like in the photo's that the reed stops are not set to the same height. One appears to be open so nearly touching the crank weight.

David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I thought I saw too. It also looks to me as if the cage is closer to the upper throw than to the bottom throw.

Post Thanks / Like

The difference between the top and bottom throws is usually corrected when the bottom bearing is installed which will force the crank up to the correct end play. It looks like the left side and right side stops on top are not the same with the left one closer to the throw.
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

It's the angle of the photo. I just started taking it apart, they are set exactly the same. Also, about the cage being centered. There is no locator pin, so it's sitting there as close as possible. It centers when everything was together.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, despite multiple careful and painstaking times setting shimming correctly it ended up being the issue. I must have with the multiple times taking them on and off to adjust shimming misplaced or mixed up the shims I was using. It ended up being .4mm too much shim. However it happened, it is now correct. I haven't buttoned it down again yet because I found another catch spot. Just finished grinding it back down. Smooth as butter. Time for a relaxing time in the outdoor hot tub in the nice falling snow

Thanks a lot everyone, really appreciate it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get your A$$ out of that hot tube and get that thing together! 3 Minute gun has fired! At least you are learning a little that we went through in the 60's and early 70"s Steve

Post Thanks / Like

So after assembly again, the engine moved, but was still kind of tight. Removing any number of shims did not help. It was at this point that I realized I had taken the engine as far as I could with the equipment I have. As some suspected there were some issues here. According to Steve the crank was straight at bottom and middle but off .005 on the top. Oops. The bottom bearing carrier was not right and was creating a bind. Additionally the rods were still slightly touching inside the front case despite me grinding down the rod passages considerably. It is now spinning freely. I should have it home in a couple weeks. I really want to get one of these together myself (all the way ), so I am sending a crank for a new B looper we acquired down to be straightened/checked and anything else I can think of. Hopefully the B will not be as problematic, or at least I can do it all myself. After the B, comes the F.

Thanks for all the pointers, ideas, and help everyone.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default looper

When u say down,how far?to atlanta,middle georgia(heard that fellow still around)or south georgia,that man and his son still around.Or maybe south carolina,a very talented youth down there,who can do things.

Thread Information