Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fa-90

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    These carbs are in a box of float less Carters I got a couple years ago. Interestingly enough, not a single one of the loopers I have came with carbs. I'll post pictures when the time comes. Merry Christmas all.
    Like Quincy Loopers and old boat racers, Carter Model N's are becoming a rare commodity!

Merry Christmas!

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have two of these? Another thing neither of my 2 cylinders have.

Attachment 59032
    Brandon,

Most used the 20H conversion front port side throttle connector with the arm for the starter cut off. Won't move as a single attachment point connector would & actually looked better.

Merry Xmas

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default brackets

Anyone have two of these? Another thing neither of my 2 cylinders have.

Attachment 59032
    Even if you don't have the means to cast aluminum, you can still probably make these by casting them of melted down solder. It isn't quite as strong as aluminum but its plenty good enough for a wire bracket and will look just as good. You could probably make the mold out of plaster. The solder can likely be melted down in a steel pot on a charcoal grill. You can speed it up by blowing air into the coals with a air compressor. Be very careful though as hot ash will fly around a good bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anything Sand Cast

There is a local foundry called Miller Foundry, who will sand cast anything you need...1 off or 500 pieces, ask for Susan.

I'll post the phone number.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    There is a local foundry called Miller Foundry, who will sand cast anything you need...1 off or 500 pieces, ask for Susan.

I'll post the phone number.
    Frank Erion has already had them re-produced and are available.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys. Sent frank an email.

Post Thanks / Like

Got some work done on the A looper, FA-90. Shimming is all set. This project is definitely a tester of patience but I am also learning a lot as I go. I assembled the crank case front and mid together following the correct assembly procedure for these engines. I discovered when rotating the crankshaft with pistons that there was not just a snag, but a wall preventing full engine rotation. After some discussions with Steve and some investigation of my own I ended up taking the dremel and went to work on the rod channels within the front case. According to Steve, this is somewhat of a common issue. I went conservatively, but it became apparent that almost the entire area needed to be ground to some degree. Well, I finally, got it to rotate free. Of course with one problem solved I get another. After installing the bottom bearing carrier the engine won't turn at all, zero. Even after I backed out the bearing carrier. Strange. I took a break since I spent a couple hours finely grinding down the case, cleaning, installing, grinding, cleaning installing until it fit. Well, at least I have made some progress. More to come.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question, How can you have the shimming correct without the lower bearing adaptor in place? Too many shims now I expect. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I checked for crank end play already. I could not get the bearing carrier on with the midcase attached to the block without a gasket. Once I had the crank in without pistons I installed the front, while the mid was still secure to the block. I then after tightening everything down, removed the case from the block, reinstalled the bearing carrier and installed the pistons. Then placed on the block again with gasket. No movement. Removed the barrier carrier, there is movement.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is too tight then, or you forgot the gasket. Steve

Thread Information