Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what size and type of batteries ?

pdt

Default what size and type of batteries ?

what type and size batteries are you all running on engines in the 40hp to 90hp category ?

do you mainly have just enough power to crank it over and use ultra lightweight agm style ?
    or do you use conventional car battery's with a bit more amp/h rating.

i know that the agm type batts can be a lot lighter for a given amount of voltage and amps etc, but is the cost of such batteries realy worth it.

Plus ive read on a electrical site that says most outboards need to use lead acid rather than sealed maintainace free batteries or you
    could destroy the electronics !!!!!!!!!!!

any thoughts on this subject ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used a standard, lawn mower size battery for years.

This spring, thanks to ethanol gas leaving crude in a carb, my Merc triple died out in the middle of Beltzville Lake--and it was damn cold! I crank started that sucker at least THIRTY times on that little battery before I was able to limp back to shore. Does that answer your question? Also, I use the same battery to start my Merc 850.

Jeff

pdt

cdi electronics installation sheet tell me.

DO NOT USE A MAINTAINENCE FREE, AGM OR DRY CELL BATTERY WITH THIS TYPE REGULATOR/RECTIFIER AS
    THIS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY !!!

maybe omc do some weird stuff with their electrics, as ive read this in a few places now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

500cca Interstate battery

pdt

is the Interstate battery a lead acid battery that can be topped up if need be ?

if so its probably the same type that i am looking to buy right now.
    i have found a Banner P7209 that's 72amp/h and 660 CCA battery, Brand new for just about half the normal price, it is slightly on the
    heavy side at around 37 pounds total weight. But i think ill have plenty of power for starting plus any other stuff.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, in boating, to only use a battery that you can check and fill the liquid levels.

Jeff

pdt

must admit I do like to be able to check battery for fluid level, its something I done as a kid with my dad every couple of days on his trucks and cars.
    back then battery's were real bad for losing fluid compared to todays .
    it was back when you could have a new cell dropped in very easy, the battery's with the lead on the top that looked like little dog bones ha ha .
    so now its just instinctive to keep an eye on the battery.

don't know the situation in the states, but battery over here have not realy gone up too much in price over the last 10 years,
    equivalent of $100 dollars us money gets a good heavy duty car battery of around 70 amp hour capacity.
    the new one im hoping to get is supposed to be non spillable upto 45 degree angle, so should be fine . need to get new battery box as well ha ha

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Something to keep in mind is that most, older OBs have a very basic charging system that lacks a voltage regulator. (My automotive buddy was stunned to hear about that.) That they don't just boil the battery dry all the time is a bit of a miracle! So, having the ability to check fluid levels and refill the battery is a good idea.

Jeff

pdt

wow no regulator

how old are these engines ?

I wonder how they don't bugger up the cells of the battery, the regulator going bad is what kills most battery's ha ha

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Typically, OBs of the '8s and older vintage had an alternator, a rectifier that changed AC to Dc, and... Nothing else! Amazing, they work fairly well.

Jeff

Thread Information