Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what size and type of batteries ?

pdt

well I got the banner 72amp/h battery with 660 cold cranking amps.
    this should do the job pretty easy.
    the engine starts quick anyway, but it was the power trim that was killing the old one a lot.
    I will remember to switch this one off completely in future and not let it drain till completely dead.
    I am not sure what amps my engine kicks out when its running, but I think about 8 amps !!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default In the College Solar Boat Class

In the college Solar Boat class there few rules, which I like. Here are two rules:

100 pounds of batteries (total weight) and 36 volts maximum.

Does cranking power have anything to do with endurance? As part of the race is a 2 hour endurace race.

pdt

well its a weird one to answer as
    cold cranking power does have something to do with endurance if the motor takes large amounts of current like a starter motor etc.
    if its small like a led light then no I suppose its upto the amount of amp/h the battery has.

try putting a battery with 60 amp/h 200cca on a truck that normaly had a 100 amp/h 1100 cca battery and see how long it takes to go completely flat and burn out.

But the battery used to start up fighter planes is very small and kicks out huge amounts of cca, but is crap at keeping a headlight bulb going for long ???????

so I think the battery is something that needs looking into a lot more, (and I don't mean make it a see through case )

Thread Information