Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Harold Berghauer Family

Post Thanks / Like

Default Berghauer Brothers Win The Parker 9 Hour, 1973

I ran across this old Parker program.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jill Berghauer Ghardt Sent Me Four Pictures of Berghauer Racing

Jill is the youngest Berghauer, and to be honest, I don't recall anything about her. In the OLD DAYS, racing was the only thing on my mind, at least at the races.

The Berghauer trailer, 20-J was a light blue deck and had been Bob Oakner's, I think. It had a round right side sponson, and Harold liked that boat from the start. The brothers were racing Sid's. At the 1967 Nationals, Dennis, Dewy and Dee ran 1,2,3 in C Hydro.

That September, when Dennis, Dewy, myself and maybe Buddy Tuppin, went to Albany on the Hudson River to "Pre Run" the marathon, Dennis and Dewy told me how to make my Sid Craft fast. I came home from New York, and worked the bottom like they told me and set it up, like they told me. We had a 50 mile marathon in Needles for Hydros, I won first overall and first in D Hydro, by almost five minutes.

I never race D Stock hydro after the 1967 season until I got a BeZoats in 1977. But the point is, those Berghauer knew how to get speed out of a Sid Craft.

1967 Havasu: Berghauer Brothers Are Leading Overall
    They were driving a cut down 21 Glastron with triple Evinrudes. They had a big lead, but someone did not calculate gas mileage and they ran out just before the two hour mark.

Dee Berghauer said, about the station wagon:
    "1966 ford esquire wagon 390 cu. in. good looking but slow!"

Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-29-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Likes Steven Curry liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Correction:
    Jan is the eldest of the siblings and was married to the late great Vern Kargus and is the mother-in law of Big Don Allen.
    There are other branches of the Berghauer family tree but would need a white board to be able to follow along.
    If you see Dee at the APBA convention; perhaps he can fill you in. Also, he has reservation forms for the BSOA anniversary get together.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Trampe View Post
    Correction:
    Jan is the eldest of the siblings and was married to the late great Vern Kargus and is the mother-in law of Big Don Allen.
    There are other branches of the Berghauer family tree but would need a white board to be able to follow along.
    If you see Dee at the APBA convention; perhaps he can fill you in. Also, he has reservation forms for the BSOA anniversary get together.
    I keep asking for the reservation form & no one has sent it to me. Please do, jschubert19j@gmail.com
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jill Ghardt Sent Me The Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Trampe View Post
    Correction:
    Thanks, for the correction, Chip.

Having a new puppy and no baby sitter, I'm not going to the APBA Convention.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rip Denis Berghauer

I just read on Facebook where Denis Berghauer had passed. RIP old friend.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-22-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I just read on Facebook where Denis Berghauer had passed. RIP old friend.
    So Sorry to hear this. I grew up with Denis and can tell so many adventures we had together both at the races and others. Orella blamed me for all of our pranks as Her Deny was an "Angel". My two favorites when we broke into Pious High School to steal his exam and we forgot to put the pins back in the door. The next morning the Mother Superior had the door almost fall on her. She yelled out find me that Berghauer boy as I know he did it! The other one was where we hot wired the train at Fond du lac park during the Winnebago Marathon. WE all piled in the train and were having a gay old-time with a few drivers and my pit crew and a few girls we picked up. Deny failed to realize the other door on the round house was closed and he drove right thru it making a large racket. We heard police sirens and swam back to the pits and pretended to be asleep in the large tent we ere all were in. Harold had to bail us out and paid for the damage. It was front page news in the local paper with the headline : "Denis Bando Berghauer and the great train Robbery". RIP friend and I'm sure God will have his Hands full. Jon 65 W in those days
    Likes Ron Hill, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1963, Boston, Massachusetts, Nationals: Region 7 Vs. Region Football Game

Why we decided to play football, I don't recall. We had about 20 on each side. Ruben Dawe, (Ernie and Jimmy's dad) was given the job to block the Berghauer boys. We played til almost dark, then decided each side would get four more plays or the first to score WON.

Region 12 got the ball and after three downs, we were basically on our own goal line. I convinced Ted May and Joe Schulte to let me punt on fourth down.

I kicked that mother the length of the football field, Region 7 fumbled, Region 12 recovered for a touch down.

That was really my first encounter with the Berghauers.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-22-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some good stories.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boston 1963, from Dee Berghauer

Sent: Thu, Jul 19, 2018 6:34 pm
    Subject: Boston 1963

Send this to Ron Hill also please

Duey Won CSH and won the second heat of DSH (2nd overall, flipped the first heat)

They interviewed Duey for the only time ABC wide world of sports had live coverage of a boat race.
    It rained and delays for flipped boats caused ABC not cover boat racing in the future.

I didn't see the Berhauer's until Modesto's Nationals 1964. They showed up with boats everywhere, big red trailer that said, "The 4 D Racing Team, Deny, Duey, Dee and dad."

Ted May called them the Berghousers, "Huey, Dewey, Louie and Screwie." Ted always got his words in to "Word Salad". He loved the Berghauers.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-16-2023 at 04:37 PM.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Thread Information