Thread: The Harold Berghauer Family

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Harold Berghauer Family

I first met the Berghauers at the 1964 Modesto Nationals. I wasn't sure I like the "OLD MAN" but thought their trailer was way cool. As I recall it was called the 4 D's Racing...For Deny, Dewey, Dee and Dad.

After the '64 Nationals until probably 1980, the Hills and the Berghauers we really close friends.

Again, as I recall, "HB" (Harold Berghauer) drove a light blue VW, diesel, Rabbitt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. B---

When we ran THE CLASSIC which became 1100 hydro [so we could get APBA points] with the Stock group I really enjoyed talking with Mr. B. He was a wealth of knowledge when it came to Merc OTBD"S. One thing that sticks out in my mind was his magneto tester. He said he would bench test a bunch of mags and pick the best. I think he said he had a ocilliscope[sp.] to test output voltage. I really enjoyed picking his brain!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boston 1963 Nationals

I have to admit, I DID know the Berghauers before 1964 Modesto, but I didn't know them well. I Boston, we had a Region 12 VS Region 7 Football game. I remember that Ruben Dawe had had too much Jim Beam, but he kept saying those Wisconsin guys are "BIG BUCKS".

Ted May was playing quarterback for Region 12, but we weren't doing well. Finally, we decided, that the next score won. Region 7 kicked off and we received, after three downs we were minus twenty yards from where we'd started.

In the huddle, everyone was talking. I said let me kick it. Joe Schulte said we can't give them the ball!!! I said, BULL ****, we are on our own 20 year line. So, I punted the ball about 60 yards, region 7 touched the ball, and Region 12 fell on it for touch down...Game over, Region 12 WON! Region 7 wasn't happy!

The next day we made Edgar Rose "MEASURE" Gretchen the "Hedlund's" girl friend. In those days women with GIANT TITS and a Bikini were few and far between.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-16-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I have to admit, I DID know the Berghauers before 1964 Modesto, but I didn't know them well. I Boston, we had a Region 12 VS Region

7 Football game. I remember that Ruben Dawe had had too much Jim Beam, but he kept saying those Wisconsin guys are "BIG BUCKS".

Ted May was playing quarterback for Region 12, but we weren't doing well. Finally, we decided, that the next score won. Region 7 kicked off and we received, after three downs we were minus twenty yards from where we'd started.

In the huddle, everyone was talking. I said let me kick it. Joe Schulte said we can't give them the ball!!! I said, BULL ****, we are on our own 20 year line. So, I punted the ball about 60 yards, region 7 touched the ball, and Region 12 fell on it for touch down...Game over, Region 12 WON! Region 7 wasn't happy!

The next day we made Edgar Rose "MEASURE" Gretchen the "Hedlund's" girl friend. In those days women with GIANT TITS and a Bikini were few and far between.
    Did Edgar have a special tool for SPECIAL measurements or did he just wing it with a BUST'O'METER?

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default Edgar Rose Smoked Like A Crazy Man in Those Days

After Region 12 won the football game between Region 7 and Region 12 (On my famous punt)...We all headed for a beer. Gretchen really wasn't Ron or Jerry Hedlund's girl friend, she was just a friend and Bikinis were new in those days. Anyway, Edgar got Gretchen on the scales to weigh. Edgar would puff on his cigarette, then pull some gauge out of his box and check her out. He decided she was "LEGAL"....clearly, I thought she was under weight.

The funnies thing about the Boston Nationals was that Joe Schulte brought his C Runabout and Mark 30-H stuffed in the baggage area of a TWA plane, where he was a Captain. Ernie Dawe, Ruben Dawe, and Ted May were stopped at a stop light, and Joe Schulte was standing there. He said, "Can you go get my boat at the airport?"
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-14-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Assume HB and My Dad Got Along Fine, From Day One

My dad was the motor inspector at the 1964, 1966, 1973 and 1977 Nationals, all of which Harold Berghauer had motors inspected by my dad. By 1967, the Berghauer boys were racing for OMC and so was I. When Havasu '67 came up, Harold came to Havasu and brought "Wisconsin Brandy" for my dad. Harold and my dad managed to drink the brandy.

Some how, Harold thought my dad liked brandy. For the next quite a few years, Harold came to Parker and Havasu. My dad and Harold always drank brandy. Funny, as my dad NEVER drank brandy unless he was with Harold.

Bill Leutner and Harold met my dad in Nebraska one year to go hunting on my cousin's farm. My dad and Harold we really as close as brothers. They often spent all day talking motors, especially Mark 30-H's and Mark 55-H's.

Thread Information