Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APBA Annual Meeting Long Beach, California, 1965

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bobby Switzer's UU "YELLOW" Boat, Canton, Ohio 1967

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that a switzer in the back ground with the GT115? I love this old stuff & this tread. These were the years that I was introduced to OPC. I was 6 years old and did not know what the hell was going on, but I loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred Miller Checks In: He Won FI and JJ OPC Nationals 1967

Hey Ron,

Good to hear from you. I checked out the Canton posting.

I won FI and FJJ in 1967. And that is my FJJ in the background with the #24 on it.
    I think an OMC employee actually owned the # thru APBA.

I do remember the testing at Paul's cottage in Port Clinton, OH the week before the race.
    Canton may well have been the first OPC Nationals?

And I did pit close to Bob Switzer. If my memory serves me right, he had a red boat,
    not the white one (I may be mistaken). Yes, he won UU. There's a picture somewhere,
    I think, with me sitting in his boat smoking a cigar, before the race. That was the
    first time I ever met Bob. Have done so several times since, as we don't live far
    from each other.

Best Regards,

Fred Miller

Des anyone know when the first OCP Nationals was?? I attended the 1976 OPC Nationals in Dayton, but did not race.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marlee Hill and Fred Miller: APBA National Meeting 2012

I said, 2012, but might have been 2013. Fred started the APBA Hall of Champions 40 years ago. I has turned the "HALL" over to Ernie Dawe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default First OPC Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I said, 2012, but might have been 2013. Fred started the APBA Hall of Champions 40 years ago. I has turned the "HALL" over to Ernie Dawe.
    First OPC Nationals were in Lake George NY 1966. So rough and windy the large boat used for the race committe was dragging anchor. Think the race was called due to the conditions. The marathon held the next day resulted in a lot of distroyed boats due to the conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beale Tilton View Post
    First OPC Nationals were in Lake George NY 1966. So rough and windy the large boat used for the race committe was dragging anchor. Think the race was called due to the conditions. The marathon held the next day resulted in a lot of distroyed boats due to the conditions.
    Beale:

The Closed Course Nationals at Lake George were relatively calm. I remember John Keller winning JJ in "No Pra'lem" the sister ship to my JJ 16 Allison twin w/Merc 1000's, and I think Kitson won UU (He was there along with Threlkeld and Schoonover in wings). The rough conditions were on the following day during the Marathon Nationals. I remember getting a late start in my UU 15 Powercat. We had installed a tunnel tab for the first time. We were running dead into the wind over 2-3 foot rollers and the boat was crow hopping like h*ll. I started pumping the porta power and lowering the tab until suddenly the boat leveled out and picked up 30 mph...We were passing guys left and right including the vaunted Switzer Wings and I thought we had the race in the bag...until we got to the north end and discovered there was no turn boat. After that a bunch of boats were chased down by the local race patrol boats and told the race was called off. The first guys to some check point wound up winning I think...or maybe the first guys back to the starting line...It was, without doubt, the biggest mess I had ever seen.

I don't think that was the first OPC Nationals, however. Can't say for sure, but it seems like there had been one or two before that event, maybe at Canton, Dayton or Miami....?
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Rich,

I stand corrected about the conditions on Saturday. It was the first Nationals. Ran kilos on Friday, CC Nationals Saturday, Marathon Sunday. When the marathon was red flagged John Keller didn't immediately return to the pits causing some concern. After a bit John came across the lake, forget if he stopped on the far shore for a coke or rest room break.

The kilos caused the birth of E&T Marine. That's another story.

1967 was Canton.
    Last edited by Beale Tilton; 12-18-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Addition

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is just a brief introduction from a 1964 APBA rulebook. Somebody out there should be able to fill in the rest of the story, but this is a brief timeline.

There was interest in organized outboard pleasure craft boat racing racing so some work was started and OPC racing under special events began in 1958. There was a trial period from 1959 through 1961 and interest increased during this time. In November of 1961 APBA approved racing rules for the 1962 season, and had in the previous August transferred jurisdiction from special events to the Stock Outboard Racing Commission. This gave OPC inspectors, referees and everything they needed to put on successful races across the U.S. APBA worked with all the major outboard manufacturers and over 400 boat manufacturers during the next two years to set up rules, classes, etc. Now get this....the first OPC race under the APBA banner and official OPC rules was held on Lake X in St. Cloud, Florida December 30, 1961. According to the rule book, "The event was highly successful."

The 1962 OPC racing season under jurisdiction of Stock Outboard was considered a great success. At the November 1962 APBA Convention OPC it was proposed the Outboard Pleasure Craft would be placed under jurisdiction of its own racing commission. The APBA membership was polled, and it was approved and in March of 1963 OPC elected it's first racing commission. As I said, all of this info comes from a 1964 APBA rule book. They listed one OPC competition record, and nine straightaway records.....three in 1963 and the rest in 1961. There was no national championship winners listed. So maybe there was not a nationals in 1963. I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes up with the information.

NOA also had most of the same drivers competing during this same time period. In NOA the Pro division held World Championships, OPC's top race then was called International Championships, Mod's had the North American Championships, and Stock ran National Championships. I'm not sure if Fred's original question referred just to APBA or also included NOA.

In my opinion there should be a thread on the beginnings of OPC in both APBA and NOA. I think it would be very interesting. There were a lot of drivers running in both organizations, and when I first Joined NOA in 1966 it seemed like every other issue of Roostertail had a photo of the latest driver and his Switzer Wing that just upped the record. There was a back and forth between Kenny Kitson and Jan Schonoover. I think the early history would be a fascinating subject both in photos and the stories like Beale Tllton and T2x just told. Not that there isn't already a lot of good OPC threads with great stories and photos. What I'm talking about is something like " The Beginning of OPC" where people could go to see how it all came about in the beginning and the early development, all in one place.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul Kalb

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I missed that test session at Paul's, as my boat was on the road from California still (I might have been coming from Valleyfield actually ad my dad had the DeSilva).

Paul was fun to work for, that smoking probably caused him to die sooner. Paul was smoking and leaning on our freshly lettered DeSilva at Parker one year, and I thought my dad might just grab Paul and kill him. He smeared the lettering all over hell and my dad was "HOT".
    I can remember Paul Kalb taking over as race manager for OMC Brugge from Jim Wagner in 1974 both he and his wife moved over to Belgium for the race season each year.I started racing for him in 1976 i was told he was 71 years old then and do know he suffered from emphysema` i do not think him and Jack Leek got on very well Paul told us in a non polite way that Jack cleaned the WC`s`he went back to the USA in 1979 i was told he lived up to 1983 putting him around 78 or 79 not bad for a smoker?

Thread Information