Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RIP Larry Swinford

Post Thanks / Like

Default RIP Larry Swinford

Larry Swinford has passed away in Lake Havasu City.
    He moved to Havasu City AZ. from Kent WA. several years ago & continued to race in region 12 until he couldn't physically do it anymore.
    Larry raced and grew tunnel boat racing in region 10 for many years before moving to Havasu City.
    He was one of the strongest advocates for boat racing you would ever find, as well as one of the original club founders for tunnel boat racing in region 10.

Larry would help anyone who needed it no matter what class of boat you raced. I know of several occasions that Larry provided boats & equipment over the years for people to race. (including me when I started racing)
    He spent many hours & late nights repairing equipment for people to go racing who would not be able to do it, had he not helped them out.

Larry started racing in the days when ski boats were the only thing raced. When tunnel boats were developed and came on to the scene he started building tunnel boats locally for a while, as there were not many available to be had. He continued building boats until work and family did not afford him the time anymore to build boats. Larry loved working on boats.

A great friend to many and accomplished OPC boat racer for years in Region 10 and anywhere else he could find to put LARRY'S LADY in the water.
    A Region 10 race was not complete until Larry and Arlene pulled there motorhome into the pits.

Racing was in his blood like the rest of us die hard racers and there were many people (including my self at times) who did not agree with him over the years, but his heart was always in making boat racing better for everyone.

His love of racing continues as one of his daughter's races & his grand kids begin racing.

Larry was my godfather and friend who I spent many a days racing with and learning from.
    Rest in peace my friend, doing what you love for all eternity.

Jeff Schmitt
    Region 10,11,12

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know Larry well, but I knew how dedicated he was to boat racing. And his legacy will live forever.

My sincere condolences to the family.

Dean Hobart..................................
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can remember the first time we met. It was at Lawrence lake and he asked if I could launch his boat for him with my truck. Told him for a 6 pack. I got a 12 pack. That would become the first of many beers we would share together.

He may have raced his last lap here on earth but he's ready for the green flag upstairs.

To his family my prayers are with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Post Jeff: Larry Swinford

Quote Originally Posted by sst45jefff View Post
    Larry Swinford has passed away in Lake Havasu City.
    He moved to Havasu City AZ. from Kent WA. several years ago & continued to race in region 12 until he couldn't physically do it anymore.
    Larry raced and grew tunnel boat racing in region 10 for many years before moving to Havasu City.
    He was one of the strongest advocates for boat racing you would ever find, as well as one of the original club founders for tunnel boat racing in region 10.

Larry would help anyone who needed it no matter what class of boat you raced. I know of several occasions that Larry provided boats & equipment over the years for people to race. (including me when I started racing)
    He spent many hours & late nights repairing equipment for people to go racing who would not be able to do it, had he not helped them out.

Larry started racing in the days when ski boats were the only thing raced. When tunnel boats were developed and came on to the scene he started building tunnel boats locally for a while, as there were not many available to be had. He continued building boats until work and family did not afford him the time anymore to build boats. Larry loved working on boats.

A great friend to many and accomplished OPC boat racer for years in Region 10 and anywhere else he could find to put LARRY'S LADY in the water.
    A Region 10 race was not complete until Larry and Arlene pulled there motorhome into the pits.

Racing was in his blood like the rest of us die hard racers and there were many people (including my self at times) who did not agree with him over the years, but his heart was always in making boat racing better for everyone.

His love of racing continues as one of his daughter's races & his grand kids begin racing.

Larry was my godfather and friend who I spent many a days racing with and learning from.
    Rest in peace my friend, doing what you love for all eternity.

Jeff Schmitt
    Region 10,11,12
    Formula 150, a current OPC class was Larry's "Brain Child" as I recall.

I took the Region 12 Capsule trained to Parker (Several times) but I remember Larry taking the test and almost failing. His "Spirit" was into it, but his body wasn't. He did pass, but I don't think he ever raced after that.

He treated me like and "OLD FRIEND" even though we didn't know each other very well......I've sure he was a boat racer to the end. God speed in Lake Paradise. (I hope they got cold Coors Light there......).

Thread Information