Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonneville towers and Chrysler racers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bonneville towers and Chrysler racers

Can anyone provide some info on Bonneville towers? I have one for a Chrysler and would like more info on them. What all did they make? When did they make them? Does anyone have more info on Chrysler racers than what is in the factory brocures? I have a 105 and a later one that was supposed to have been built my Mercury under the Force banner. Any info is welcome and greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Modhydro Steve
    Can anyone provide some info on Bonneville towers? I have one for a Chrysler and would like more info on them. What all did they make? When did they make them? Does anyone have more info on Chrysler racers than what is in the factory brocures? I have a 105 and a later one that was supposed to have been built my Mercury under the Force banner. Any info is welcome and greatly appreciated.
    Look for T-Rex over on www.byuboyz.com forums, he knows all about Chrysler.
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

T-Rex knows how to make them go fast, but he's not a big historian.

Chrysler built racers from 1968 until 1976, ranging from 105 hp to 150 hp. Chrysler got out of the outboard business in 1983 when they sold the outboard stuff to an investment group that called itself "US Marine". I think US Marine sold out to Merc in the early 1990's. I've heard the Merc/Force racer rumor many times, but I very much doubt Merc had anything to do with any Force racer given the stretch of years between the Chrysler racers and the year Merc acquired Force.

There are a few simularities between the Chrysler racing lower unit and the McCulloch racing lower unit. This is because when McCulloch got out of racing in 1967 their racing R&D team became available and was picked up by Chrysler. The team consisted of Bob Kies, Jack Oxley and Danny Snead. I located and interviewed Kies and Oxley a few years back about their involvement with both companies. The early 105 Chyrsler racers just had the racing lower unit bolted on to a std short shaft powerhead. There were also racers badged as 120 and 135. Next they added the open megaphone exhaust and finally larger carbs, L-shaped piston rings and a higher compression ratio on the 150 hp racer. The early racing lower unit used a fat 7/8" prop shaft and couldn't use Merc Speedmaster props. The 150 type racing lower unit used the same splines on the prop shaft, but had more space between the shaft and exhaust outlet, so a larger diameter prop could be used compared to a Merc Super Speedmaster. There was also a 2" longer racing lower unit for bigger boats with taller transoms (the extra 2" is all under the cav plate). Chrysler never made a big splash in APBA OPC racing, but did very well in outboard drags, holding many speed records over the years.

The Bonneville mid sections were made by Bob Florian in California during the time Chrysler motors were popular and fast at the drag races. Bob also made short mids for 6 cylinder Mercs and 4 cylinder D Mercs; again popular with drag racers. The time frame was probably 1969 to 1972 for all Bonnies.

The Bonneville mids were intended to be used with Merc D clamps & swivel assemblies. The gear ratio is 17:15 (7% overdrive). There were optional 7% reduction gears, but they are very rare.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 10-07-2005 at 05:41 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For Some Reason, There Are People On This Site, Who Think, Just Because They Never Saw A Good Running Chrysler, They Were Not Competitive. I'm Here To Tell You That Is Bs. Bobby Soles Ran One For A Couple Years That Was, Not Only Competitive, But Was A Many Time Winner. Since We Both Were From Florida, We Ran Against Each Other All Season Long. Neither He Nor I Were Able To Win 2 Heats In A Row, Including The Nationals. Had I Not Run The Nationals That Year, A Chrysler Would Have Been The Champion.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATORXX
    For Some Reason, There Are People On This Site, Who Think, Just Because They Never Saw A Good Running Chrysler, They Were Not Competitive. I'm Here To Tell You That Is Bs. Bobby Soles Ran One For A Couple Years That Was, Not Only Competitive, But Was A Many Time Winner. Since We Both Were From Florida, We Ran Against Each Other All Season Long. Neither He Nor I Were Able To Win 2 Heats In A Row, Including The Nationals. Had I Not Run The Nationals That Year, A Chrysler Would Have Been The Champion.
    Jim is absolutely right. For example in 1970 Chryslers took 25 firsts, 29 second places and 30 thirds in OPC racing. Respectable in the least.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, here's the 135 Chrysler I'm currently running on one of my 14ft. Fantasy Hydros. Dick.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default C S R

Hey guys there a fella' here in the midwest area That has a c mod chrysler, David might know who, that runs real well.???
    RichardKCMo

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default There Is A Chrysler 105 And 135 Sitting Near Here In Storage But

The two big Chrysler engines sitting here stored are both pleasure engines that are complete and ready to run as such. They were tradeins on new Mercs some dozen years ago and are just sitting in storage where I got my Merc Twister tunnel boat engine from. Now to find some Chrysler tuned exhausts, racing towers and gearcases! What an impressive hydro that green beast is!! That is the kind of big hydro I was hoping to find a while back for the Twister as I am no fancier of tunnel boats anyway.

Some one in the midwestern area has a Chrysler C-Mod engine. I know where there are a number of those sized pleasure engines too. That is worth a lookeesee all by itself. Chryslers enjoyed a good reputation here too and there were a lot around for a long time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Force Chryslers

Two lower units that I got were painted with the "Force" blue and have a longer skeg (as cast and not welded on) They both have a 1" 15 spline while a whitish Chrysler one I have has a smaller diamter 12 tooth spline. I don't know if this will be a clue for anyone or not.

I think it is Campen's with the C mod Chrysler.

Thread Information