Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Test: Stan Leavendusky, Jr. (Butch)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Test: Stan Leavendusky, Jr. (Butch)

Testing due to previous posting problems. If this seems like a duplicate it is, sort of. I'm not sure why some of us are having trouble posting.

TO: You

Ron:

Here is the notice I have been trying to put on BRF for several days. Hopefully you will be able to get it up for me. I was trying to put it on the "Boat Racing Encyclopedia" Forum, as I felt that was where it should be. Just can't figure out why I can post on the other forum and not the one I am trying to put this on. There are LOTS of thing I do not understand about computers though.

Bill

Those of you who either raced yourself or spectated, especially in the Midwest, DePue APBA Nats and Alexandria, La. NOA World Championships in the mid to late 60's, all of the 70's, and a good part of the 80's, will surely remember the name Stanley Leavendusky, Jr., AKA "Butch". He came by his boat racing talents naturally as the son of Stan Leavendusky Sr. Stan Sr. was a champion in his own right having won the C Racing Runabout APBA Championship in the early 60's. Stan Sr. was also a very talented motor builder and built many C Service motors that Butch campaigned, and also the C&D Flatheads that he raced early in his career and also later the C&D Konigs that Butch ran towards the end. Stan Sr. also built engine for others, and Rex Hall, presently the GRM motor dealer learned much about motors in Stan Sr's basement shop. In addition Stan Sr. furnished all the pistons used in the Flathead motors put out by Quincy Welding. He also furnished pistons for the Konigs during that same time.

Butch won the APBA 500CC Runabout Championship in Ackworth, Ga. in the early/mid 80's and hung up the helmet and life jacket several years later. He also was a many time National Champ in C Service Hydro and Runabout in APBA and a World Champ in NOA in the same classes.

During recent years Butch has fallen on some difficult times health wise, first about 12 years or so ago with several Heart surgeries, then later on with a couple of Strokes, a torn rotator cuff injury spring of 2013 as a result of a fall caused by dizziness brought on by the strokes, and most recently a 36 day hospital visit that ended Christmas Day when he got home from esophageal tumor surgery. The surgery was only supposed to have him down for about 7-10 days but complications developed from the surgery based on previous medical problems requiring a longer stay than anticipated.

I am writing this post now that he is home to inform any of his former competitors or friends that I am sure, based on several phone conversations I have had since he got home, that he would take kindly to best wishes from any of these old friends that would like to send a card or give him a call. Contact information is below.

A word of caution if you call him. Please respect his sleeping hours from about 7:00PM in the evening to about 7:00AM in the morning. If he sound a little "cranky" if you call him, just remember that is a genetic condition inherited from his Dad, Stan Sr. I am sure those who knew Sr. will understand what I am talking about.

The prognosis is good and from what I am told that his Dr. passed on to him, all the tumor was able to be removed. He may possibly have to do some Chemo/additional treatment, but now is just working to get thru rehab. He has lost a lot of wgt,(which we all need to at present age) but is able to enjoy three good meals a day for the first time in at least a year.

Contact info is as follows:

Stan Leavendusky Jr. (Butch)
    15500 Dusky Lane
    Alexander, Ar. 72002 Phone 1-501-580-7823

Thanks and please contact him if you would like, I am sure he would be appreciative.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-03-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't pass Bill.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ProHydroRacer View Post
    You didn't pass Bill.

You evidently have that riight Bill. I have been trying for 3 days and 3 separate times to post some info on Stan Leavendusky Jr. (AKA)" Butch ", some health problems he has had recently, and an address and phone number for any of his friends or old time competitors to contact him. To this time, no joy.

I have contacted Ron several times and he (I think) has someone working on the problem but it is not solved yet, at least latest last nite was not.

That post was tried in another category. This one went thru fine as you can see.

Post Thanks / Like

Default If You Are Still Having Trouble, Email Me the Post

If you are still HAVING TROUBLE, EMAIL ME THE POST. WE ARE UP DATING OUR V-BULLETIN SOON.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-03-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    If you are still HAVING TROUBLE, EMAIL ME THE POST. WE ARE UP DATING OUR V-BULLETIN SOON.

Ron:

Thanks very much for putting this notice up about Butch's recent hospital stay and rehab/recovery at home now underway. It is much appreciated. Hopefully the new V-Bulletin update will solve this problem and allow others who may have been trying to post to be now able to.

I talked to Butch today and he is doing better, although still very weak and also his balance has been affected by the long hospital stay. At this point his mobility is dependent on a walker, but anyone who knows his determination will recognize that he will soon be taking some steps with a cane or crutches. Anyone who has been forced to lay flat on their back for several weeks will know what I mean, and as the earlier post indicated, he was laid up for 36 days.. He is in better spirits now than the last time I talked with him, especially since he has had several phone calls from old friends and racers from years past.

I would urge anyone who knew him and was entertained by his skill with a Runabout to either send him a card or give him a call. The several contacts to this time since the notice was posted have done wonders for his attitude and appetite. His appetite is especially important at this time as he had lost about 65 lbs due to this ordeal and the hospital stay.

Thanks to all who have and will participate in cheering him up, saying hello, and wishing him well and a speedy recovery.

Bill

ADD: Calls are much appreciated as noted above, but please respect his sleeping hours before 7:00AM and after 7:00PM as noted above.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BTTT>

Butch has really appreciated the calls and acknowledgements he has received regards his recent medical problems. They have lifted his spirits and kept his mind and memory busy talking and reminiscing about he and his Dad's racing adventures.

Please keep the contacts with him coming, as it is a lot of help. His rehab is still a work in progress, with someone coming out to the house about 3 times a week at present. The goal at present is to get rid of the walker and get on one of the "four peg/foot" canes, and any encouragement is welcome and appreciated, either by phone or cards/letters.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

Thanks for posting this info on Butch. I missed it the first time. Joe Rome called me this morning saying Butch is having some health problems.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to have been a part of the "Golden years of alky-burner racing" should thank God for the friends we made during that very special period in our lives.

Remember to pray for restored health for Butch, Dan Kirts, Jerry Simison and others who may be ailing. We are more than friends. We are family!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Talked to Stan just a minute ago and he sounded good. He still can't walk very well, but after 42 days in bed it's going to take time to strengthen his muscles back up. He said he felt good, but he is looking at alternative treatments to make things better. He was very glad to talk to me as I was too him. He gets bored watching TV so taking a break to talk to an old boat racing friend (key word is not old, but long time) was a bright spot in his day.

Thread Information