Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Champion AU/BU

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, all of them. I think most members of our club would like to drive "real" nitro engines (especially I would), but due to the legal situation in Germany (and other european countries) we are not allowed to drive gas model engines on german lakes and ponds.

On the other hand fast electrics are much more uncomplicated and meanwhile you get distinctly more power and much higher rpm from a brushless motor then from a nitro engine. Weight is another reason: an outboard leg with 3.5 cc engine weights around 700-800 grams without fuel, an electric outboarder (including batteries!) does not exceed 400-500 grams. Last not least the torque is higher on a brushless motor, especially on low rpm. So the advantages are on the electric side... but the sound isn't.
    www.152vo.org - Vintage Outboard Racing of the 1950s

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Loud Pipes" Save Lives

When my kids were small and driving little boats, I drilled some hole in the tower so they made noise. The new motors (1984) were so quiet, you could yell at the ids driving the boats.

I think it is great to have the electric boats working so well.....(Maybe sesign a siren that is diven by water)...

I did notice the boats handled very well. What RPM motors? ow long do the batteries last? What are the batteries made of?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I did notice the boats handled very well. What RPM motors? How long do the batteries last? What are the batteries made of?
    Ron, you can find the detailed specs of each boat (written in English) under the respective video on Youtube -> http://www.youtube.com/user/152VO

The motors are running at about 30,000 rpm idling cycle which is about 25,000 under load. The batteries are lithium polymers (lipo) and have to last at least 15 laps on a cloused course of 18 * 78 meters. This is a total distance of 2,650 meters = 1,65 miles. The top speed of the boats is 25 - 37 mph, the resulting race time is about 5 minutes. We're also driving team marathons with teams of three or four boats and a total distance of 96 laps = 16.95 km = 10.6 miles. In marathons each boat is changed at least one time.
    www.152vo.org - Vintage Outboard Racing of the 1950s

Thread Information