Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to get a nose cone for 2in lower uint

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to get a nose cone for 2in lower uint

Hello I am looking for a small nose cone/low water pickup for a mercury 9.9 lower unit the hub size is 2.25in so want something small and not to bulky. Any help would be good.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd check with Ron Hill. He supposedly is casting them again. Maybe he will see this and chime in...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nose mod

Quote Originally Posted by Emustard View Post
    Hello I am looking for a small nose cone/low water pickup for a mercury 9.9 lower unit the hub size is 2.25in so want something small and not to bulky. Any help would be good.
    I recently did a successful nose build-up on a Yamato 80. I sharpened the edges of the skeg and the upper housing. To build the nose, I simply extended it to a single vertical point while maintaining the arc radius along the side of the housing toward the nose. How I did it was to strip it all to bare rough aluminum with 80 grit. I then cleaned it off with acetone. I took some marine aluminox two part putty (the kind that comes in a stick that requires kneading) and formed a nice symmetrical nose on around the front. After it cured, I sanded it down to a nice finish with 80 again feathering it. I cleaned it off and applied a layer of fiberglass extending about an inch past the nose form onto the bare metal. After it cured I added reinforced putty (the kind with short strand fibers and Kevlar) over all of it to the parallel portion of the torpedo of the case. When it cured, I sanded it with finer and finer paper feathering it to a fine finish. A coat of filler primer and aluminum engine enamel finished it nicely. It all costed me about 30 dollars and a day of off and on work.

Post Thanks / Like

since the factory water pickup is under the cav plate on that lower unit, you are gunna have to drill into the housing to get to the backside of the lower water pump housing, in order to feed water to the pump. Not sure what you are trying to achieve with that engine, by raising it up that much higher? The pinion gear in the early units (pre94) won't stand up to alot of stress, so be careful....
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default about the cone

Streamlining a gearcase is a good way to increase economy and naturally pick speed up at least a little. But one strong point to consider in doing this is function in environment. If you are running in a deep water area that is low in obstructions ( logs, stumps, ects) it is a good choice. But if you go into areas that are riddled with possible obstructions, youd be better off with the traditional club foot design as it is intended to withstand a certain amount of impact. A sharp, pointy gearcase can be a questionable safety concern upon striking a log or stump. Damage can be more at hand as well under such a circumstance.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's old not sure of the year, I think it's a 9.9 to 15hp gear case and I'm hoping to put it on my evinrude 20big block. How easily do they brake and is there a fix?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, how is it standing up have you tested yet? do you have any pictures? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It's old not sure of the year, I think it's a 9.9 to 15hp gear case and I'm hoping to put it on my evinrude 20big block. How easily do they brake and is there a fix?
    if it IS a 9.9 gearcase (made from 86-2005), it is the same unit used under the 6/8/9.9/15's.............why would you want to use it under a 20 Rude? The driveshaft is about half the size as the 20 Rude would have. I would find another option....
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its older than That, It's an 8 spline shaft 2:1 gear ratio. I want a low profile gear case, and can't find one anywhere that would be easy to adapt to a evinrude. I don't think there are any cheaper options than this.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    since the factory water pickup is under the cav plate on that lower unit, you are gunna have to drill into the housing to get to the backside of the lower water pump housing, in order to feed water to the pump. Not sure what you are trying to achieve with that engine, by raising it up that much higher? The pinion gear in the early units (pre94) won't stand up to alot of stress, so be careful....
    If you have to relocate your water pickup like that, I'd personally run a transom pickup instead and keep your stock gearcase. You are well below speeds to need a nose cone.

Thread Information