Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to get a nose cone for 2in lower uint

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your definitely right I I'm well below speed to need a nose cone but with my current lower unit I can't jack it any more or I run out of water. I really want it for the low water pickup.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

put a pick up on the transom and plumb it into the water cavity on the gearcase, none of these little motor lowers are going to live under that 20 hp.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya that's what I'm thinking of doing but I rather have the pickup under the nose so I get max pressure. Has anyone tried this because people say it won't work but I was told it should have know problem handling it and that it has been done before. The only thing they said is idle way down to shift so you don't brake the shift dog.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Half the time, I usually shift then start the motor up.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And the transom pickup will provide plenty of pressure. At speed, it actually forces water in if you have your pickup angled just right. (Transom side of the pickup flush with bottom of boat. Lower unit side of the pickup 1/8 to 1/4" below the bottom of the boat.)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Right! I run a Merc 850 power head on a Mark 55/ Merc 400 tower with its (relatively) tiny impeller. With the rig in the photos, the motor actually overcools! The intake is mounted on the cav plate, but it could as well be transom mounted.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a couple of People do this it looks pretty good only problem is I need it to be portable. What I mean is I want to be able to take the motor off and on with only two bolts. I will look into that idea but still would like the low water pickup in the nose.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emustard View Post
    I have seen a couple of People do this it looks pretty good only problem is I need it to be portable. What I mean is I want to be able to take the motor off and on with only two bolts. I will look into that idea but still would like the low water pickup in the nose.
    With a transom pickup, the only extra step from taking off the two bolts is to pop the water hose off from the fitting at the gearcase. It takes 1 extra minute. The rest stays attached to the boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    Right! I run a Merc 850 power head on a Mark 55/ Merc 400 tower with its (relatively) tiny impeller. With the rig in the photos, the motor actually overcools! The intake is mounted on the cav plate, but it could as well be transom mounted.

Jeff
    The pickup will provide you with all the pressure you need. And the impeller will actually regulate the amount of water. Kind of like a low pressure pump to a high pressure pump setup. Hope this makes sense.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's true.

Thread Information