Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any photos of DeSilva outboard hydros?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The DeSilva with the white trim was in Ralph's pits, and had an A Konig on it. I thought about Larry, but in the races, he was not driving it. Doesn't mean it wasn't his though. This boat did not have a number yet and I looked at the c service hydro photos, but was unable to find a DeSilva hydro with duct tape numbers.

I'm going to check post 148 to see which that was. I know I posted one of the yellow trim pit shots a while back in Random Shots.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DeSilva hydros

That is definitely my trailer and runabouts in the pictures, but I am a little confused about the hydro. David had several DeSilva hydros but I don't remember that one.
    It is David's though, you can see the double sliding pipe that he made to take the place of water injection. Also it has the type of fuel tank we used and the sliding throttle. The pictures have to be from the sixties or early seventies, because the runabouts are flat deck.
    I have David's last DeSilva that he won the 700 at Depue in the eighties before he quit. Wayne, that was it you saw at Depue, I had it set up for David Hooten to drive in the sprint 500.
    I also have a one of a kind DeSilva, a step bottom J or K-Pro that I had built for my grandson, but he never ran it. We never put it in the water. Litzell was going to burn it, He said a step hydro would never be competitive, but I saved it before he did.
    I also have two Pugh boats built in the eighties, a 250 anda 350 that I ran for years and years.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember you pointing out that J or K boat to me that you had built for your Grandson Ralph. The black and white photos of the DeSilva with the Konig in your pits, and the yellow trimmed one with the Merc were both taken at the Grain Belt Pro Nationals at Winona, Minnesota in 1975.

Hey Steve....why would you want to burn such a nice crafted and historical one-of-a-kind boat? Thanks for saving it Ralph.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Because it was made out of bio degradeable lumber and I had no room at the time. I have a Desilva Flatdeck runabout that is getting re skinned for a tribute boat to Miss Riverside. You remember her don't you ?

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Miss Riverside very well. Are you going to finish her with the same numbers and color scheme? If you are and need pictures for a guide, let me know.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tes I am, and Bruce sent me a picture of her but like I say, the more the better! Plans now are to be able to show/run with the C Konig from Louis and also my C looper as well as my A motors just for grins. Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a picture of the first DeSilva cab-over hydro on page 76 of my book Vintage Outboard Motorboat racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the photo from the book. I blew up the 2nd picture in order to see it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a copy of Bernie's book here is the link to the Amazon site where you can order it. I think it is a very good read !!!

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Outboa...utboard+racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The black and white photo of the A hydro was Westbrooks. This was at least a 1971 photo as the FA with cast iron cylinders was introduced in 71 in the US. Ralph had set a record at Lakeland the first year in A hydro but was disqualified because the engine was not approved. I'm glad those idiot rules are gone, but the argument that Deiter made on behalf of his new cylinders really pee od Waldemen and OF off. Steve

Thread Information