Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update on Jerry Simison

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who only knew about Jerry's boat racing fame, he also became known as one of the top gunsmith's in the country. Jerry was a very talented person who excelled in whatever pursuit he engaged.

Post Thanks / Like

Great point Wayne. In addition to building excellent firearms, Jerry patented a competition bullet that was widely used. Google Simison rifles and see what you find.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I first met Jerry at the NOA championships in 1962 at Midland, Mi. He won AH and I believe that was his first of so many. I got my first NOA there also in BR.
    The next two years he came down to Lake Spivey and we really became friends. I can't remember all of the races we both attended, but we would usually have dinner togather at least one night with our crews. He kept us laughing with his jokes. One race I will always remember is NOA race back at Midland Mi. when he had a new AR prop from Allen Smith and he was very fast, but blew the motor in the qualifying heat. Knowing that I had qualified, he offered to let me use the propeller which I did and won the first heat. In the second heat I was out front again with a half lap to go and a spectator started swiming out on the course to a flipped boat. On the restart Ted May, who was second in the first heat, beat me to the first turn and I couldn't get around him and he won on time.
    Over the years we had many battles in the runabout and good times after the races. I remember he always ordered Cuba Libre at restaurants or bars. One year I stopped over in Fargo on my way to the APBA meeting in Portland, Or. and he took me deer hunting with him in western ND. I discovered what a good shot he was when we saw a coyote in a valley about 200 yards away, the coyote started up the valley running horizonal to us and Jerry hit it with one shot.
    Jerry, when he worked for GM as a dealer rep, would get a dealer to sell me a car at a very attractive price and when I would go to Fargo to pick it up we would go snowmobiling. Another time I went with Walt Blankenstein and the plane was forced down and we spent three days in Grand Forks in a blizzard.
    The last car he got me he drove down himself and we went down to Lake X for him to report to Roger Penske for driving his offshore boat.
    The last time I saw Jerry was a couple of years ago when Shirley and I stopped by to visit Phil Wagner on our way out west. Jerry was better then and he took me to his shop where built his rifles. I have some pictures someplace of him in his shop, I'll have to find them.
    Rest in peace my friend, I'll miss you.

After he quit racing I didn't see him as often

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Wish BRF Had "Likes"

Donald, that was a"LIKE" for sure. You never gave Ted May a second chance on a restart. He'd figure, you were winning, and therefore aren't going to "PUSH" the start. But he'd push it....more than once, I think he got me that way. Ted was fun to race with as you knew he'd give you room if you crashed.

I only wished I'd raced NOA more than just Phoenix every year, but then again, we didn't have that kind of money.

We did what we could with what we had.

Rest in peace for sure, Jerry. I wish I'd seen his rifle making shop!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerry Simison's Obituary

Here is the Obituary and final plans for Jerry.

Thanks for your love & Support.

The Family

Karl "Jerry" Simison

June 10, 1942 - February 27, 2014
    Resided in Detroit Lakes, MN
    Obituary
    Karl "Jerry" Simison, 71, Detroit Lakes, MN, died Friday, February 28, 2014, at McIntosh Senior Living, McIntosh, MN.
    Jerry was born in Fargo, ND on June 10, 1942 to Dr. Carl and Peggy (Olson) Simison of Barnesville, MN. He graduated from Barnesville High School in 1960. Jerry continued his education at NDSU and graduated with a business degree in 1964.
    In 1962, Jerry married Mary Ellen Jones of Fargo. Following their marriage, Jerry was employed by General Motors as a district sales manager. Later he was transferred by General Motors to Mobridge, SD. In 1967, their son, Todd, was born. In 1969, Jerry was again transferred by General Motors to Fergus Falls, MN. While in Fergus Falls, Jerry accepted a position with Roger Penske/Penske Racing, as the main driver for Penske Sunoco DX Ocean Racing Team. Jerry was employed with Penske Racing for two years until Penske Racing retired the ocean racing program. He then accepted a sales position with M & R Sign Company in Fergus Falls.
    In 1975, Jerry married Kathy Gerlach from Campbell, MN. Shortly thereafter, they moved to Fargo, ND, where Jerry owned Suzuki of Fargo. In the fall of 1978, Jerry and his father-in-law, Dick Gerlach, purchased The Boat House, on Pelican Lake, which would then become Simison Marine. In 1986, Jerry's son, Todd, joined Simison Marine. Jerry sold Simison Marine in 1997 due to advanced Parkinson's disease. Jerry then turned his gun building hobby into a full time business called Jerry's Gun Shop.
    During Jerry's high school years, he began powerboat racing and soon became well known locally and nationally. Jerry and his crew, (Team Frustration), won hundreds of races over his 20 year career and earned 34 national and world championships. Jerry was chosen for the All-American Racing Team and was named to the American Power Boat Association Hall of Honor. In 1966, Jerry was chosen to be in the Gulf Marine Racing Hall of Fame. Jerry was presented this award in New York City.
    When not boat racing in the winter months, Jerry ran an independent snowmobile race team, also known as Team Frustration. The "Frustration" Team, fielded many successful world champion drivers. Jerry enjoyed running the team, but his passion was building two stroke engines. Jerry was known by many in the racing community as "the engine doctor".
    An equally important passion of Jerry's was competitive bench rest shooting, as well as building high accuracy, long distance rifles. Jerry won the Cactus Classic in Phoenix, AZ, and continued building guns for shooters coast to coast. One of Jerry's custom built guns currently holds the thousand yard world shooting record. Not only was he successful in competitive shooting, but he was also an avid big game hunter. He was especially proud of the grizzly bears he shot on Kodiak Island, AK.
    Jerry is survived by his wife, Kathy; his children Todd and Deling. Jerry had three grandchildren: Carson, Amelia and Sophia. Jerry is also survived by one brother, Paul (Sue), Homosassa, FL.
    Preceding Jerry in death were his parents, Dr. and Mrs. Carl Simison; grandparents, Dr. and Mrs. Charles Simison, and Mr. and Mrs. LL Olson
    Visitation for Jerry will be held on Wednesday, March 5, from 4-7:00 PM with a prayer service at 7:00 at David-Donehower Funeral Home in Detroit Lakes. Funeral services will be at 2:00 PM Thursday, March 6, at Detroit Lakes United Methodist Church, 885 Pembina Trail. Following the funeral service, a reception celebrating Jerry's life will be held at the Holiday Inn in Detroit Lakes.

-->
    Services
    Funeral Home
    David Donehower Funeral Home
    609 Hwy 10 East
    Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

Visitation
    David Donehower Funeral Home
    609 Hwy 10 East
    Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

With a prayer service at 7:00 PM
    - Show more -
    Service
    United Methodist Church
    885 Pembina Trail
    Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry's son Todd called moments ago to thank everyone for their prayers and concerns during Jerry's long illness and especially during this past week.

He had just returned from the funeral home. He and some of his employees had just converted the funeral home into a Jerry Simison Museum and were on their way home to change clothes for the services.

Online memorial tributes in Jerry's name may be made to:

Michael J. Fox Foundation (Minnesota Chapter)

Let's help find a cure for Parkinson's!

Cards and letters of condolences may be sent to:

Todd Simison
    1682 Hwy 10 E.
    Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

Thread Information