Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Champ 20B A/B racing runabout.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Champ 20B A/B racing runabout.

This is not an advertisement for my hull, I'm only sharing this for viewing. This is a class A-B racer that can be used in stock or modified runabout racing. it can also be run in 25SSR if a Hot Rod or Sidewinder is used. This hull easily supports the weight of a 200lb (fully suited) driver even with a Yamato 80 engine. It is light enough as is that a medium to heavy driver can run B-stock easily at 360lb gross weight.

The material used is choice picked AC and AB exterior wood. The use of more expensive materials is not necessary at this time as this is a prototype only and may be used as a plug later on. As a prototype it is suitable to race and meets all the specifications of sanctioning racing clubs today. If this hull is reproduced, composite materials will likely be used however, balancing of the hull as it is currently, will remain. This hull is superior to any other existing hulls in these respective classes. It is superior in dynamics, is specifically balanced, and has a unique keel line (no steps or vents) that will not be elaborated upon. It is for those who have the marbles to go as fast as possible. It is intended for one who can walk the tight rope with confidence and take the cup. To sum it up this is made to race... It is not for family fun and good times, it is made to beat up the competition and give its driver a fighters rush.

Other existing hulls are inferior to this design. They are to bulky and bulgy to even come close. If you ever see a Champ 20B hull at a race in future years you might as well pack it up and go home unless your running one too. But that depends if I ever decide to offer a kit or more likely, plans when I decide not to race.

Again, this hull is not a kit or plans from any old family names or listed builders in the APBA. THIS IS MY DESIGN AND MY BUILD ALONE. I am not currently associated with any club as of yet, this is a future venture.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The following attachments are pics of what I'm talking about. One of them is a mock album cover. All the boats in it are depictions of the Champ 20B hull actually pictured. The album cover doesn't really exist under such title. Its fan made art.

Post Thanks / Like

Either you have to learn how to post or I have to learn how to get to your attachment. You sound "hot", I'm too old to climb into a kneeler but would like to see the boat of which you speak.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default about pics

Quote Originally Posted by champ20B View Post
    The following attachments are pics of what I'm talking about. One of them is a mock album cover. All the boats in it are depictions of the Champ 20B hull actually pictured. The album cover doesn't really exist under such title. Its fan made art.
    I will try to put some actual pics on here in a day or so if I can figure it out. Unfortunately, in case anyone might wonder, it will be a while (maybe next year) before I can compete with my rig. I am too preoccupied with other stuff presently and I'm saving up for necessary protective gear now, because I prefer it brand new and unused. I will be running B-Modified with a well tuned Yamato 80. The only mod to this engine is primarily at the gear case. It has a cone made to replicate the vertical-radius point similar to the old A-Alky Anzani engines. It has been edged on the skeg and has a special propeller surface finish that I came up with. I won't show any of that until after I have finished racing it. I am not aiming on making a permanent thing out of this as I will have no interest to keep racing. If I win a couple of races, that may be enough for me. Too much of a good thing isn't good for one and can be costly. This sport doesn't pay sad to say. I am doing this for the one time experience and after that, I will probably just enjoy designing hulls like this one and sell only plans for them as a side hobby, as long as it doesn't become a aggravation. I might pop a mold from it and sell that mold and spec-data to a manufacturer or racer and that will be that. This is by no means the only fast boat I ever built, but I wont get into that.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pics

image pics coming
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring it to Jesup in April and let's see what you got!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default about the pics

Quote Originally Posted by champ20B View Post
    image pics coming
    The garage pics of the boat were taken in its semi rough stages. I intend to refine the finish of the hull and add a bit more hardware as necessary soon. I have ran it and yes, it is very fast to competition level so far. Actually, more speed could easily be obtained with the correct engine upgrades intended. My brother tried it out and he said, " You know the APBA guys will probably outlaw this thing, right?" I asked, "what makes you say that?" He shook his head and said, "The only way anybody could outrun this is if the engine is just running like crap. It doesn't have no resistance. It just flies."

I will admit though, that this rig is cut down low enough to just barely contain the driver safely, still. Any attempt to push the envelope any further wouldn't be a very good idea. Yes, it is somewhat simple in appearance, but it is the unique inner structure, reinforcement, and general shape and balance that counts here. It is super rigid at the planing surface and perfectly level. Its very light.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jesup

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Weber View Post
    Bring it to Jesup in April and let's see what you got!

Tim
    I wish I could do it this year. But it is not in the budget for me this time around. I thought I would be able to a while back, but oh well.... But to all, I promise that the next time around in Jesup, Ill bring it. Ya'll might like this rig. I would like to come and see the course though, and just see how things are done there. That would be a good idea for me as to give me a good idea to set up a practice regimen for when the time comes. I like plenty of practice.

Thread Information