Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Simison Boat Racing Legend

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerry Simison Boat Racing Legend

I had thought there was a thread for Jerry Simison, but I have not been able to find one other than a couple regarding his last days. Today he will be laid to rest. He was loved by those who knew him. For those who didn't this thread will be about who he was.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for starting this thread Wayne. Hopefully others will join in honoring one of the greatest drivers in the history of our sport.

I've been communicating with Paul (Jerry's brother) and Todd, (Jerry's son) all week. I can assure everyone, the Simison family knows how much the racing family loved and respected Jerry.

The family has asked me to thank you for your prayers and kindness.

Condolences may be sent to:

Todd Simison
    1682 Hwy 10 East
    Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

Memorial tributes honoring Jerry may be made on line to:

Michael J. Fox Foundation (Minnesota Chapter)

Let's help find a cure for Parkinsons!

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt about it Gene. Thanks very much for keeping us updated. Ralph Donald doesn't post often, but when he does it is to the point. The longest post I can remember is the one he did about Jerry on the funeral thread. Hopefully someone can move that over here. Ralph told about some times he had with Jerry and his family.

Here are some more pictures.

ADD: You have to think backwards when posting these days, because if you go in order.....everything is backwards, except somehow the magazine article was in order.

Post Thanks / Like

More pictures of Jerry.

ADD: I accidentally posted one from the previous post, but it's easier to leave it in than try to remove it. I did learn, though, how to move pictures into the correct order before posting. Most of these color ones were taken at Winona. The 1975 Grain Belt Pro Nationals, and the Eastern Divisionals at Gadsden, Alabama in 1975.

Post Thanks / Like

More on Jerry. This is from the Roger Penske offshore racing days. I believe they only did it for one year. Penske may have thought it would be easy, just getting a driver like Jerry and putting a lot of money into it, but if you are serious, you have to be ready for a long term commitment. Penske had too many irons in the fire at that time, and did not continue on. Maybe Ralph Donald can add some of what he wrote on the other thread of Jerry.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerry took me for a ride in that boat on Lake X without a helmet and what I remember most is that the wind made the skin on my cheeks ripple like wind on water.
    In the last picture of Jerry I see F 22 where we pitted next to each other. I believe that was the last NOA championship in 1974 at Rainbow City, Al. A great place for a race!

Post Thanks / Like

One picture shows Jerry using a conventional torque wrench to tighten spark plugs. Does any one still have one of the pre-set breakover AC spark plug torque wrenches.

BTW: Todd says there was a great turnout at the funeral yesterday. Did anyone on BRF attend?

Post Thanks / Like

The picture you are referring to Ralph was at Alex in 1972 or 1973. At the far left of the opposite bank you can see the mowed grass at the airport. I've got plenty more pictures. Like more stories.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I never spent time with Jerry other than in the pits and at races. We were good friends, but when the evening came and everyone was dressed to hit the town after shedding wet tennies, socks, jeans and T shirts, and got cleaned up, we never hooked up with Jerry and his friends. We talked a lot in the pits. Baldy and Jerry's Dad Dr. Paul Simison were great friends. They became acquainted I think down at Baldy's place during the second half of the 1968 NOA World Championships. In those days I just hung out with my pit crew and didn't mingle. I can remember my Dad though being with Jerry's Dad and they were both talking and laughing a lot.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much of a story, Wayne, but the hat Walt has on was bought on the way to a race. He was riding with me to a race, maybe Alex, and realized he had forgotten a hat, so we stopped at a store for him to buy one.
    Bill Hosler ended up with it and attached it to a door on my van along with a picture of him asleep in a chair. Bill still has it.

Thread Information