Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Banger Johnson Outboard

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Next I'm waiting on my mill, lathe, drill press, and bench sander to arrive. That's kinda holding up the show.
    Been thinking about the tilt system, being that this motor will inevitably hit immobile objects I need to allow slip of the system, a single acting system
    won't let it jump up and over stuff. If it does give it'll form vacuum "bubbles" inside and may pull air past the piston seals.
    Then that gave me the thought, maybe air is the solution?
    It does compress unlike fluid, but to use only air, I'd need a "pusher" cylinder much longer or rather larger in diameter than the lift cylinder to compress the air to the point it would push
    the outboard up, the air however would continue to gain pressure until it reached the apex of the pivot and the engines weight teetered.

I may come up with a way to add in check valves and an accumulator to solve this problem, need to get to work...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After much thought and research I have decided that hydraulic will not work well for the lift/tilt system.
    I tried and tried in testing to put together a slip system, that would have enabled the cylinders to remain at their current
    stroke. Anything that attached inline is to long because of the amount of slip required, it would drag below the boat.
    Anything parallel to the cylinder just won't work well. Plus incompressibility of hydraulic fluid in the event of
    an impact would cause it to blow off a line and or blow the cylinder seals. I've investigated an manufactured accumulator, to expensive and a homemade
    one, well, that is difficult.

So a pneumatic system will work to serve both purposes, a reservoir tank is not needed nor would it work well.
    So to keep costs down I've decided to use a cheap portable 12V tire inflation compressor pump unit.
    The plan is to have it hooked directly to the lifting cylinder. That way the motor can hit logs and rocks,
    and skip up, the air decompresses.

A check valve would keep the air from leaking back out through the compressor.
    After the check valve, a gauge, and a solenoid bleed off valve, so the double pole momentary switch I have can be used.
    Motor up- compressor runs, motor down- solenoid valve opens. Valve may need a orifice to control the speed of descent.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tested the lift capacity of one of the air/hydraulic cylinders, one cannot overcome the initial strain. It doesn't have enough angle to lift it the first 5-10 degrees, after that it's very strong.
    Meaning it's fighting itself by using it's force vertically rather than diagonally.

But I had a eureka moment today, after I began to rebuild the jackplate, I felt the original has to light in construction. So I used 2" channel to reenforce the transom, it fit over it perfectly.
    That is welded to two vertical pieces of 3" channel. That's as far as I got today. Laid down for a nap and couldn't sleep and had a realization!

Make a mount plate that pivots off of the two vertical angle channel instead of a fixed one.

I remember seeing a jackplate like it in a video. It can pivot to the desired angle and remain there if the outboard strikes something it can pivot on the outboards tilt.
    I think I'll make the hydraulics double acting instead of single to "lock" the jackplates angle. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
    Also some sort of shock absorber for the outboard to bump into.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the actuator device built and accidentally broke off one of the power tabs on the motor, that renders a small electric motor useless.
    It is next to impossible to solder a wire to it when its broke off flush.

So I explored finding another motor for the linear actuator, no go. I'm not paying $250 for a gate opener, that I'm not going use it's circuit board or case or any
    of the mount accessories. I don't remember if I mentioned I was using an old used swinging gate opener.

So I bit the bullet and spent about $180 on a 6.02" STROKE 500 LBS 12 VDC LINEAR ACTUATOR.
    I may or may not use it directly to tilt the outboard, not sure if it will fit or work that close to water.
    It will however work to push and pull on one of the cylinders as planned originally.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what happened with this motor in the end ?
    and how much money went into this project

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information