Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041

Thread: 12ft Tunnel Build

Post Thanks / Like

Ron it shows in your craftsmanship. Great advice thank you.
    I always like sticking up for your props when people tell me get a merc prop and you'll go faster.. funny thing is yours out of the box perform very well and are very fast imo. thinned props i agree are asking for trouble. A prop i ran was bent tips and chunks missing... a prop that was fast handed around for testing on many boats, and when i said you should get it repaired he said the same thing.. its fast as it is, and i won the titles with it last year in this condition so im not touching it. lol.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I had won the Nationals and on Monday I went to Waukegan to pick up the twin engine Jones I was to race at the ELSINORE 500.

I had brought my boat on the roof of my station wagon, brough 5 gallons of gas, and two props. My good "Hill" and my number 2, was a Grandpa Seebold.

When I got to the plant, I think Don Henrich's shop was where the boats were stored. I ask Don to measure my props. I gave him the Seebold first. He said that was a pretty good prop, about 11 1/2 pitch.

Then I gave him the prop I had won the Nationals with. Don said, "Wow this thing is way off, one blade is a 9 and the other is a 13. I could fix this one." I said you get near that prop with a hammer you will be a dead man, as that is the prop I won with, yesterday!

I learned a long time ago no to get made at people who had my props. I had the money in my pocket. If they had ideas, they could work on them.
    Ron

So what is the theory of different pitch on each blade?.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Pitch, More Speed, Sort of....

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Ron

So what is the theory of different pitch on each blade?.
    The theory is simple, you take a big prop, and keep beating the blades small until the prop goes fast.

My dad believed, as I think some in Seattle still believe, that if you make one blade small enough, the prop will keep "Cavitating" or "Slipping" in the corners (Allowing your engine to keep the RPM's up....and speed in the corner, also.

Once you straighten out, the small blade kind of quits working, and the big pitch takes over. We called them "Shifter" props.

Of course, when you are young and have four or five boats, and a dad who LOVES to see you win, working all day at the lake or at Salton Sea, was pure fun. Winning races was part of the fun......and we did ruin some props along the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron.
    Very interesting concept never knew that till now.

Not quite the same but this helped - when I was using 1:1 gears in the 20H with 2 blade props (circa 1970's) I would try different spline engagements of the drive shaft into the power head to change the diving blade position of the 2 blade prop relative to the piston position on the power stroke. This put the best position of the diving thrusting blade into the water/air mix and the other lifting blade out into more air less water, like slapping the water at the right position with one blade. There were noticeable improvements. Didn't work as good with 16:21 and/or 3 blades but did help some. Every little bit helped to win, even if just 50 rpm more.
    Pete

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Ron.
    Very interesting concept never knew that till now.
    Not quite the same but this helped - when I was using 1:1 gears in the 20H with 2 blade props (circa 1970's) I would try different spline engagements of the drive shaft into the power head to change the diving blade position of the 2 blade prop relative to the piston position on the power stroke. This put the best position of the diving thrusting blade into the water/air mix and the other lifting blade out into more air less water, like slapping the water at the right position with one blade. There were noticeable improvements. Didn't work as good with 16:21 and/or 3 blades but did help some. Every little bit helped to win, even if just 50 rpm more.
    Pete
    My father always put the prop on & placed it in a position just passing the gear case. Then he would put number 1 cylinder at TDC & mount the powerhead whether 2 or 4 cylinder motors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    My father always put the prop on & placed it in a position just passing the gear case. Then he would put number 1 cylinder at TDC & mount the powerhead whether 2 or 4 cylinder motors
    John
    Interesting at least that was a consistent process, that is important. I just tried several spline positions for the best one with the 2 blade props at the time. I found it easier to remove the gear case, set the top piston where wanted and put the gear case back with the prop near desired position. I found that with 1:1 gears and the 2 bladed props set about horizontal and piston about or a bit after TDC was about the best for my rig (positions limited with # of splines). Didn't matter that much with 16:21 gears on two cylinder jobs with 2 blades due to changing cyclical blade positions each blade rotation that repeats each 16 blade revs. Never raced the 4 cyl engines so no experimenting.
    Pete

Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, i had the boat out today. My water leaking inside the motor problem has been side cover gasket. It let go from not re torquing it up again consistently.
    So today i ran the new Clever u sent me... wow.. this prop is so amazing it scares me. It really lifts the whole boat out of the water and increasing postive trim sends it towards 7k, but the boat is so hairy with postive trim and speeds over 65mph i have not yet reached max speed from this prop yet. i stopped at 6900rpm and 66.2mph. Unreal prop for glassy days as it was today. hole shot is awesome, and it corners the most predictable from any prop ive used yet. Thanks again Ron, this prop really gets the adrenalin running and is exactly what i was after. fast, and has more it in then i want to try in my little 12.5 tunnel boat. lol.
    The race never stops
    Likes MadProps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ice_spy View Post
    Ron, i had the boat out today. My water leaking inside the motor problem has been side cover gasket. It let go from not re torquing it up again consistently.
    So today i ran the new Clever u sent me... wow.. this prop is so amazing it scares me. It really lifts the whole boat out of the water and increasing postive trim sends it towards 7k, but the boat is so hairy with postive trim and speeds over 65mph i have not yet reached max speed from this prop yet. i stopped at 6900rpm and 66.2mph. Unreal prop for glassy days as it was today. hole shot is awesome, and it corners the most predictable from any prop ive used yet. Thanks again Ron, this prop really gets the adrenalin running and is exactly what i was after. fast, and has more it in then i want to try in my little 12.5 tunnel boat. lol.
    Hi I have been reading this thread religiously. Just wondering why are some of the pictures not showing up on the posting?

Thread Information