Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041

Thread: 12ft Tunnel Build

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Ron.
    Very interesting concept never knew that till now.
    Not quite the same but this helped - when I was using 1:1 gears in the 20H with 2 blade props (circa 1970's) I would try different spline engagements of the drive shaft into the power head to change the diving blade position of the 2 blade prop relative to the piston position on the power stroke. This put the best position of the diving thrusting blade into the water/air mix and the other lifting blade out into more air less water, like slapping the water at the right position with one blade. There were noticeable improvements. Didn't work as good with 16:21 and/or 3 blades but did help some. Every little bit helped to win, even if just 50 rpm more.
    Pete
    My father always put the prop on & placed it in a position just passing the gear case. Then he would put number 1 cylinder at TDC & mount the powerhead whether 2 or 4 cylinder motors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    My father always put the prop on & placed it in a position just passing the gear case. Then he would put number 1 cylinder at TDC & mount the powerhead whether 2 or 4 cylinder motors
    John
    Interesting at least that was a consistent process, that is important. I just tried several spline positions for the best one with the 2 blade props at the time. I found it easier to remove the gear case, set the top piston where wanted and put the gear case back with the prop near desired position. I found that with 1:1 gears and the 2 bladed props set about horizontal and piston about or a bit after TDC was about the best for my rig (positions limited with # of splines). Didn't matter that much with 16:21 gears on two cylinder jobs with 2 blades due to changing cyclical blade positions each blade rotation that repeats each 16 blade revs. Never raced the 4 cyl engines so no experimenting.
    Pete
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, i had the boat out today. My water leaking inside the motor problem has been side cover gasket. It let go from not re torquing it up again consistently.
    So today i ran the new Clever u sent me... wow.. this prop is so amazing it scares me. It really lifts the whole boat out of the water and increasing postive trim sends it towards 7k, but the boat is so hairy with postive trim and speeds over 65mph i have not yet reached max speed from this prop yet. i stopped at 6900rpm and 66.2mph. Unreal prop for glassy days as it was today. hole shot is awesome, and it corners the most predictable from any prop ive used yet. Thanks again Ron, this prop really gets the adrenalin running and is exactly what i was after. fast, and has more it in then i want to try in my little 12.5 tunnel boat. lol.
    The race never stops
    Likes MadProps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ice_spy View Post
    Ron, i had the boat out today. My water leaking inside the motor problem has been side cover gasket. It let go from not re torquing it up again consistently.
    So today i ran the new Clever u sent me... wow.. this prop is so amazing it scares me. It really lifts the whole boat out of the water and increasing postive trim sends it towards 7k, but the boat is so hairy with postive trim and speeds over 65mph i have not yet reached max speed from this prop yet. i stopped at 6900rpm and 66.2mph. Unreal prop for glassy days as it was today. hole shot is awesome, and it corners the most predictable from any prop ive used yet. Thanks again Ron, this prop really gets the adrenalin running and is exactly what i was after. fast, and has more it in then i want to try in my little 12.5 tunnel boat. lol.
    Hi I have been reading this thread religiously. Just wondering why are some of the pictures not showing up on the posting?

Thread Information