Thread: 12ft Tunnel Build

Post Thanks / Like

Sponson pads finished with 2 coats of epoxy resin. Came out fairly smooth. I'm happy with it and if i wanted any smoother, I think you would need to spray finish.

decided to do these first so that I can lean on them and get my hands all over them in attempt to reach the inside tunnel plank in the middle. It's less to worry about trying to coat the entire bottom at once too. Much easier to work on smaller sections at a time.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice. Did you sand between coats or apply 2nd coat while epoxy was still curing? Does your epoxy allow this? Was epoxy thinned, if so with what and how much? What type foam roller and brush did you use.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

I applied the second coat when you could still leave a finger print so the chemical reaction bonds the 2nd coat. No thinners, not recommended with West Systems epoxy resin. Applied with West Systems low soak foam roller. Tipped off with dense foam brush to remove bubbles and smooth out the resin from the roller.
    Now it's fully cured I've noticed very tiny pin dots, although they don't appear to be deep into the ply, I'm going to give the pads one more light sand and coat again, which will also add a little more protection.
    I smoothed out resin with an ice cream stick into all the joins on the end grain of the ply along the sponsons pads and filled any small gaps in the hull ensuring a good seal and thicker waterproof coating. l need to hand sand these areas again now to fair them in and smooth out the resin before a final 2 finishing coats.
    Great news for me, I have found a professional car repairs shop that has given me an affordable qoute to spray finish the boat in a booth with 2pac paint.
    Purchased a Signature prop off Ron on Ebay, Over hub Clever 11-1/4 x 18 p. Should get it moving along nice I hope. Also sent off my Merc chopper II 18p , but I think the diameter will be too small and don't think I will want any added bow lift from the prop. But worth a new bush to suit the tohatsu 50hp and give it try. I plan to do some more sanding and resin finish coating tomorrow.
    Has anyone sprayed 2pac paint directly onto epoxy resin before? No undercoat ?
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Sides done
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Tunnel plank done.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good

Post Thanks / Like

After much thought, I'm going to paint the bottom of the boat. The West Systems 105 epoxy resin is not a finishing product. Nor has it any UV protection ( even though undernieth UV will affect the epoxy over time). So to keep it clear I need to purchase West Systems 107 UV protective clear coat And coat several times. I'm not going to do this. Single stage clear varnish wouldnt be any good for the boat left on wet trailer rails. 2k clear is expensive, and so is the 2k paint.
    So after some research, and remembering a tunnel hull I built 17 yrs ago, the paint I used on that lasted for ever. Australian Comapany Norglass Weatherfast make a product called pri-coat undercoat primer will be applied with a spray gun and rubbed back smooth. Then spray on some coats of Weatherfast enamel paint.
    Much cheaper and I can do this myself At home.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Sprayed on the undercoat, let it dry then started to wet sand smooth. Turning out well, its good practice for the top deck.

The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ice_spy View Post
    After much thought, I'm going to paint the bottom of the boat. The West Systems 105 epoxy resin is not a finishing product. Nor has it any UV protection ( even though undernieth UV will affect the epoxy over time). So to keep it clear I need to purchase West Systems 107 UV protective clear coat And coat several times. I'm not going to do this. Single stage clear varnish wouldnt be any good for the boat left on wet trailer rails. 2k clear is expensive, and so is the 2k paint.
    So after some research, and remembering a tunnel hull I built 17 yrs ago, the paint I used on that lasted for ever. Australian Comapany Norglass Weatherfast make a product called pri-coat undercoat primer will be applied with a spray gun and rubbed back smooth. Then spray on some coats of Weatherfast enamel paint.
    Much cheaper and I can do this myself At home.
    I really like the clear finish on these boats. You note "Single stage clear varnish wouldnt be any good for the boat left on wet trailer rails.". I have never had issues with marine polyurethane single stage varnish on wet bunks. What are you thinking will happen that you rejected varnish?

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to go all red preferring to have a coat of prima and paint for ease of sealing and final finish.
    The enamal can be cut & buffed to remove any orange peel and pollished to a gloss protective finish. Also it's good practice as said before , for me to get the top good.
    The race never stops

Thread Information