Thread: 12ft Tunnel Build

Post Thanks / Like

Tunnel plank done.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

After much thought, I'm going to paint the bottom of the boat. The West Systems 105 epoxy resin is not a finishing product. Nor has it any UV protection ( even though undernieth UV will affect the epoxy over time). So to keep it clear I need to purchase West Systems 107 UV protective clear coat And coat several times. I'm not going to do this. Single stage clear varnish wouldnt be any good for the boat left on wet trailer rails. 2k clear is expensive, and so is the 2k paint.
    So after some research, and remembering a tunnel hull I built 17 yrs ago, the paint I used on that lasted for ever. Australian Comapany Norglass Weatherfast make a product called pri-coat undercoat primer will be applied with a spray gun and rubbed back smooth. Then spray on some coats of Weatherfast enamel paint.
    Much cheaper and I can do this myself At home.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Sprayed on the undercoat, let it dry then started to wet sand smooth. Turning out well, its good practice for the top deck.

The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ice_spy View Post
    After much thought, I'm going to paint the bottom of the boat. The West Systems 105 epoxy resin is not a finishing product. Nor has it any UV protection ( even though undernieth UV will affect the epoxy over time). So to keep it clear I need to purchase West Systems 107 UV protective clear coat And coat several times. I'm not going to do this. Single stage clear varnish wouldnt be any good for the boat left on wet trailer rails. 2k clear is expensive, and so is the 2k paint.
    So after some research, and remembering a tunnel hull I built 17 yrs ago, the paint I used on that lasted for ever. Australian Comapany Norglass Weatherfast make a product called pri-coat undercoat primer will be applied with a spray gun and rubbed back smooth. Then spray on some coats of Weatherfast enamel paint.
    Much cheaper and I can do this myself At home.
    I really like the clear finish on these boats. You note "Single stage clear varnish wouldnt be any good for the boat left on wet trailer rails.". I have never had issues with marine polyurethane single stage varnish on wet bunks. What are you thinking will happen that you rejected varnish?

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to go all red preferring to have a coat of prima and paint for ease of sealing and final finish.
    The enamal can be cut & buffed to remove any orange peel and pollished to a gloss protective finish. Also it's good practice as said before , for me to get the top good.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Second coat of undercoat applied to restore a uniform base white color so that the red paint will not have blotches. We have been struck by a destructive cyclone. 135klm winds, 15m seas, trees blocked roads, cut power, no communication, no shops or petrol available. Mass flooding, constant heavy Rain. 1/4 million homes went of power for at least two days. Still recovering. But today the sun came back out so out came my boat

The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Paint on. A couple of runs but I'm not so worried being undernieth the boat . No leaves or Flys blew onto the wet paint so I'm pretty happy with it.

The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ice_spy;145918]Paint on. A couple of runs but I'm not so worried being undernieth the boat . No leaves or Flys blew onto the wet paint so I'm pretty happy with it.

Great looking paint.
    Was that a roll and tip process or some other?
    What brand and type primer and paint?

Post Thanks / Like

I used an Australian company Norglass for the paint & undercoat. It's thier one part premium marine enamel with a separate prima undercoat named Weatherfast by Norglass. They can add tint for any color too. I applied the undercoat and paint with a spray gun. I could have spent so many more hours sanding and filling before paint, but this will have to be good enough for now. I'll try to finish the top side better than this.
    The race never stops

Thread Information