Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 12ft Tunnel Build

Post Thanks / Like

Added the extra bracing back into bulkheads 4 & 5 along with extra baton I decided to extend all the way to bulkhead 3. Drilled out holes to allow air flow.
     photo 20140401_192604.jpg
    Sad news. I can't run an enclosed cockpit in the AustralianPBA. 25hp class. Also been informed on some of the legalities, restrictions and mandates of power boat racing in Australia not happy.
    I'm going to build this boat with a canopy, and race it at events that will let me run what the AmericanPBA are allowed to race in the Sport C Class.
    Maybe I'll just have fun on the Water with mates seeing what top speeds I can attain with the smaller hp boats as I have been in the last 20 years.
    If I'm lucky I may be able to race it in the bridge to bridge?
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about capsules here in the states: First you have to be certified to race in a restrained boat -- that is take capsule training, get dunked in the training cockpit a few times, renew every two years. Then at the races, you need two scuba divers on hand, in the rescue boats, to assist restrained drivers when called for. Many drivers also use oxygen in case they get trapped underwater, though that's not required. In the bridge-to-bridge I assume that's a long race down the river -- hard to have enough rescue in place to take care of drivers who need help NOW. Same reason, I assume, capsules not allowed in the Blue Water enduro, course is too long to have rescue boats always close by.

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I'm attaining a copy of the apba rule book this friday. I will then be able to see what options I have. Possibly I can just remove the canopy to race, depending on the rule book specifications. Really didn't want to have to go open cockpit and combing.
    I totally understand safety first, thanks Chairman. Last thing APBA needs is more casualties.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Almost finished the sponsons, I preferred to start the timbers at the transom leaving them unattached to the tips, which allows them to naturally take shape overnight and the next day before securing to the sponson tips.
    I also left them longer which gave much better leverage.
     photo 20140402_205055.jpg
    Good news. Found out I can run a cockpit and enclosed rear cowling, I'm just not allowed to have a canopy fitted making the boat an enclosed cell, which needs to be certified, driver needs air and restraints.
    Therefore I can run in the bridge to bridge and the 25hp class. Better yet there is a 550 class which allows me to run up to 40hp stock motor. ( class c in the USA. )
    I've got 1 month to have the boat finished and set up to enter this year's bridge to bridge. If not there's always next year
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

photo 20140402_205110.jpg
     photo 20140402_205139.jpg
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

So, to be clear, since you won't have restraints, you won't have any part of the cockpit above your head. Right? A "roof" to slam your head into in a crash is a recipe for major injury.

Post Thanks / Like

That's correct. No roof / lid. Nothing above my ears basically. However I will design the cockpit as per my design sketch to accept a canopy (roof) and just fit for bad whether covering and towing etc. However as said , will not be used at race meets.
    Agreed a canopy roof without restraints is asking for a major headache.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Planed all the sponson timbers today and manged to fit the bottom plank to one side. I cut a 2" scarf joint into the ply and joined them in the middle of bulkhead 3. Accidentally put the sponson tips on upside down. Hahaha. Oh well, guess I'll just have to cut them off and put them on properly. Work then beer. Not beer then work. Lol.
     photo 20140403_183349.jpg
     photo 20140403_183125.jpg
     photo 20140403_182552.jpg
     photo 20140403_182433.jpg
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Got the pads nice and flat
     photo 20140403_182704.jpg
    Can anybody tell me please, what the center tunnel pad does for the boat and or motor?
    Is to give more water deflection off the hull ? And also to create a smoother water flow over the leg?
    Would it be of any benefit at speeds of around 60-65 mph? Or is only for faster boats?
    Thinking of fitting one to my boat
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about this kind of central "pod"? This one was included strictly to lower the driver's seat. If anything, a pod like this could block water to the cooling intakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information