Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 99 johnson 40 hp kicks out of gear in forward

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 99 johnson 40 hp kicks out of gear in forward

I have the lower completely apart the clutch dog has alittle more wear on the forward side than the reverse the gear looks alittle worn to my shift rod is bent just a hair is this normal trying to figure out why it's kicking out of forward into neutral any help is appreciated can get some pics if it would help

Post Thanks / Like

You most likely are going to have to replace the forward gear and the clutch dog. They are sold as a set. The wear that you see on the clutch dog will be mirrored on the forward gear. This is why it is popping out of gear while under load and why it does it only in forward and not reverse. I hope this helps. As for the shift rod you should be able to gently tweak it back in place and be ok. If it is bent too far you may want to go ahead and replace it as well.

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GHMiller View Post
    You most likely are going to have to replace the forward gear and the clutch dog. They are sold as a set. The wear that you see on the clutch dog will be mirrored on the forward gear. This is why it is popping out of gear while under load and why it does it only in forward and not reverse. I hope this helps. As for the shift rod you should be able to gently tweak it back in place and be ok. If it is bent too far you may want to go ahead and replace it as well.
    I can't find were they are sold as a set I'm goin to take the gear to a machine shop to see if they can build it up and grind it back smooth I hope they can seein how just the forward gear is 350 bucks if they can fix it I'm goin to have the forward and reverse gear along with the clutch dog cyrogenicly treated they freeze the metal in liquid nitrogen to harden it equates to superior strength and wear protection thanks for ur info I'm gonna straighten the shift rod out to

Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC gears

The machining of the gears will be a temporary fix. If I remember correctly the gears are case hardened on all surfaces to provide a good wear surface. Once the case hardening is machined away then the shift dog/gear wear will be quite rapid. Also the possibility of having a large amount of iron floating around in the gear lube which will make things worse. At times I have just changed the shift dog and was able to get a little more run time at very small amount of cost. In an emergency I have turned the shift dog 180 degrees in that the reverse side usually has less wear.

You might try E bay for the part. I don't know which configuration is in your engine but here is an example. It might be 2 or 3 fingers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131144476004?lpid=82

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went tru 3 set's of welded & mechined gear's in a 35 omc back to back an about 1 trip up & down the river for each set.
    Once they were replaced with a new set of 3 lug gear's & clutch dog the problem was solved.

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by byrdsperformance@tds.net View Post
    I went tru 3 set's of welded & mechined gear's in a 35 omc back to back an about 1 trip up & down the river for each set.
    Once they were replaced with a new set of 3 lug gear's & clutch dog the problem was solved.
    I was either gonna get them carbon heat treated of cyrogenicly treated dipped in liquid nitrogen to harden metal ? The 1 inch of pipe that sticks out of the midsection would there be any benefit in cutting it flush with the midsection I have 2 1/2 in holes on each side and the pipe is half down the holes

Thread Information