Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Crescent 500 specs

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crescent 500 specs

Where can I get Crescent 500 cs specs?????
    ANTHONY McCULLOCH
    modifiedoutboard@hotmail.com

Some things never change!

They Want it cheap..............

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cresent

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBOARDER View Post
    Where can I get Crescent 500 cs specs?????
    One thing I can tell you about that motor is that it was made by the same folks as Volvo penta. The Cresent was a three cylinder that had about 30 cubic inches of displacement. No actual horsepower was given that I know of. It is quite rare and was only produced for a short time in the early to mid sixties. Fact is, it was so fast that the APBA had to give it its own class. It could do around 90 or more on a "C" hydro with no problem. It was too powerful for the mercs to have a chance. When Champion made the Hotrod, mercury simply got APBA to acknowledge a mod kit as legal for stock class on their old 20H so it could survive and win again in "B" class. An engine like the cresent was too much and it would take a looper to have a chance with this stock motor. Mercs didn't have a chance in "C"stock against this, so APBA started the "C" superstock class for the cresent. I don't know where a spec sheet or pic of one could be found though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1978 apba inspection sheet

Quote Originally Posted by champ20B View Post
    One thing I can tell you about that motor is that it was made by the same folks as Volvo penta. The Cresent was a three cylinder that had about 30 cubic inches of displacement. No actual horsepower was given that I know of. It is quite rare and was only produced for a short time in the early to mid sixties. Fact is, it was so fast that the APBA had to give it its own class. It could do around 90 or more on a "C" hydro with no problem. It was too powerful for the mercs to have a chance. When Champion made the Hotrod, mercury simply got APBA to acknowledge a mod kit as legal for stock class on their old 20H so it could survive and win again in "B" class. An engine like the cresent was too much and it would take a looper to have a chance with this stock motor. Mercs didn't have a chance in "C"stock against this, so APBA started the "C" superstock class for the cresent. I don't know where a spec sheet or pic of one could be found though.
    Found a link to view 1978 APBA INSPECTION SHEET but did not work..........................
    ANTHONY McCULLOCH
    modifiedoutboard@hotmail.com

Some things never change!

They Want it cheap..............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBOARDER View Post
    Found a link to view 1978 APBA INSPECTION SHEET but did not work..........................
    Check your email I sent the 1978 APBA Crescent specs this morning.
    Let me know if you received them.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Saab-95-RR-600x400.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  71.8 KBName:  crescent saab.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  33.8 KBName:  crescent.JPG
Views: 1912
Size:  298.8 KBI seem to recall that the motor was a Saab model 93, 93 95 or 96 car engine with reduced displacement mounted upon a racing lower unit. From the late 50s through the early eighties Saab car engines were 3 cyl two stroke engines and yes you had to add oil when you filled up with gas. Saab got the design from DKW. Attached are photos of the Saab car, the Saab car engine and the Crescent racing motor.
    Likes JohnsonM50 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

very Cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seacow View Post
    I seem to recall that the motor was a Saab model 93, 93 95 or 96 car engine with reduced displacement mounted upon a racing lower unit. From the late 50s through the early eighties Saab car engines were 3 cyl two stroke engines and yes you had to add oil when you filled up with gas. Saab got the design from DKW. Attached are photos of the Saab car, the Saab car engine and the Crescent racing motor.
    Nope, AFAIK there are no relationship between the SAAB and Crescent engine. I will speak to a couple of knowledgeable people and see what I come up with...

Thread Information