Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crescent 500 specs

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Copo

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN HENDRICK View Post
    OK, I will bite, what is a COPO ?
    It is just a term "car guys" use......Basically, it is building a factory muscle car or truck to correct or close specs using a basic format and select parts.

I had a project going for a short while where I and my dad were building 1960s and up factory performance trucks, similar to original factory options. We built four total. The last one I did was a 1980 Dodge 100 "Custom Sport Special-stepside" equipped with the ramcharger buckets, steering, carpet and aluminum factory wheels. It had the last of the 440 cubic inch based on the six-pack version internally, though I built this engine using a correct carter 4BBL. It had hemi springs with the six-pack cam and 10.5:1 compression with 906 heads. I built this engine by my particular recipe of my own choice parts and it dynoed at 527BHP on 97 gas. It idled very nice and was a comfortable driver for example. It looked like a factory Warlock all over. Not like a typical hot-rodded tricked out sort.

There were some radical trucks built from 1964 and on that few know about. Ever seen a 1964 dodge 100 with a cross ram 413(dual quads)? yes, It really happened. It was the line of special "CSS" dodges. That's another thing though.

BACK TO OUTBOARDS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN HENDRICK View Post
    OK, I will bite, what is a COPO ?
    A replica assembled from factory original parts. The O'Dea racers were essentially COPO replicas; made until the part supply was exhausted. It can't be done now because there were no parts common to the production motors.

Apparently, my research is all questionable.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Comparisons between the Archimedes Penta 450 and the cresent 500 are as follows:

The bolt patterns are identical on the head cover, and the exhaust cover and the block as well between a 450 and 500. They do have different casting finishes, but hey....look at the 18mm head on the Hotrods right? Not found on fishing motors. How bout a 20H crankcase or cylinder block....is it all together like any merc fishing motors? NOPE.

The 450 has only one carb (very similar or same as the racer carb models) though the 500 racer has three. The thing is that they are mounted in the exact same place on the cylinder block. Bolt patterns are alike. The flywheels are different but so are other factory racers....

I'm sure that the internals such as rods, bearings, cranks, and probably pistons are the same. How could there be any doubt? The Archimedes 450 (45hp) fishing motor would make a 55 merc look pathetic in performance...It was a real powerful and underrated powerhead itself that with a racing gearcase and mid, would send a Mark 55H into the stone age where it belongs with all the other deflector piston Kiekhiefers as far as racing goes.

They both have the same bore, same stroke, 500 CCs, and three cylinders. It (the 500 racer) was only rated at just over 50 Hp. Though it had much more just like the 450 had. Those engines were so good that the company offered a reward to any customer who could find a better motor of equal factory rating. That's how BAD TO THE BONE they were...

Post Thanks / Like

Early on the CS was rated at 58hp, Henry Johannson says later on they were 65hp. Dick O'Dea stopped making and selling Crescents because Crescent could no longer supply cranks to him to assemble new motors. I might have a copy of the letter advising him that there were no more cranks.

Looking thru my collection of pics I found 4 or 5 newer bigger Crescent powerheads mounted on the racing mid and foot. The 65hp has 3 carbs but an elbow so the inlet faces front. Altering it to resemble the alky version with the plate to accept the bigger Amal carbs would make it look a lot like the racing block.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 06-10-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Crescent 500 "Wizard"..
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default 996cc's of Badaxx

But as fragile as the Crescent gearcase is known to be ... I'd bet against it in a heartbeat

Dudley Malone and one of his friends got ahold of the Crescent racing foot patterns and made a foot they called the Inson, but it wasn't successful in APBA Mod racing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Super!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    The Crescent 500 "Wizard"..
    WhWhWh.....WHAT???!!!! HOLY SMOKE!!!! What do you call that set-up... the "Grim Reaper Special"??? That is a wild looking engine, engines......well, its BAD TO THE BONE!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, what would you call 2 newer 500cc Konig's back to back? - probably more than twice that much power?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crazy motors!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark75h View Post
    well, what would you call 2 newer 500cc konig's back to back? - probably more than twice that much power?
    a 360+hp 10,000rpm "ultimate alky obliterator!!!!"

Thread Information