Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you determine what prop is best

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you determine what prop is best

This may sound a bit ignorant, but only because I am. I just picked up my first Hydro and have yet to get it in the water. But, I'm curious how you determine a good prop for your setup. If you need info about the boat it's Mercguy's 2004 Dawecraft, and a Yamato80 (Daren, I'm sure you're going to jump in here and help out like you alway do). Daren gave me a prop to start out with, which I know nothing about. When you start tinkering with different props where do you start, and what things should you keep in mind when your trying to get the best performance possible.

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    This may sound a bit ignorant, but only because I am. I just picked up my first Hydro and have yet to get it in the water. But, I'm curious how you determine a good prop for your setup. If you need info about the boat it's Mercguy's 2004 Dawecraft, and a Yamato80 (Daren, I'm sure you're going to jump in here and help out like you alway do). Daren gave me a prop to start out with, which I know nothing about. When you start tinkering with different props where do you start, and what things should you keep in mind when your trying to get the best performance possible.

Sean

Sean, each boat setup is different for props. A heavier or lighter driver is the same boat could require a different prop than what worked well for the previous driver. To accurately select the correct prop, which requires lots of testing and going through several different props. You need to have a tach in the boat to display engine RPMS and also a GPS, to determine max speeds. You will "try" to find a prop that will get you towards the max RPM's for the motor and max speed. But, you usually will have a trade off, having a prop with more top speed (for long courses) or a prop with more "punch" for shorter courses, that pulls out of the turns faster. I use mainly Dewald props and will give you the numbers from my (2) best props for that setup, although, the motor I sold you with the boat, is not as strong as the one I raced on it, so you probably will not be able to "turn" the wheels I used. I "think" the prop I gave you for the boat will work VERY WELL with that motor. You can also buy some props from Ron Hill at a VERY REASONABLE price and go testing, record your resullts, contact Ron or me and we will help you out. Heck, my current props now might not be that great for my new boat, we will see. I might have to buy a few more............OUCH, there goes another $1000!!!

one thing though, the PROP is what makes or breaks the boat! The best thing to do, is ask around with the guys up in your area in Washington, if they can "loan" you some props to try out....usually they will. I loaned about 6 props to a few racers in Reg11 to try out. When I get them back, I can send you some to test, when you are ready to hit the water.........

oh ya, you would be asking for Yamato 80 20SSH props to try out, but also can ask for some 102 props (except for high rake props, as they will not clear the exhaust snout on the 80), as the props are pretty close to being the same. My CSH 102 wheel was the same one I used in the 80/20SSH setup........

Sean, BTW, nothing is an ignorant question, MOST boat racers will be glad to help you out, as added competitiion is always wanted!
    Last edited by mercguy; 11-05-2005 at 09:11 PM.
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Daren,

I think I have just about enough info from you to write a book "how to get started in hydro racing" with all the info you have shared so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hi Sean & Welcome

It was nice to have met you at Oroville last weekend.
    Congrats on the new boat, she's a good one! I drove her at Shadow Cliffs last year in OSY 400, sweet ride

You came to the right place for Info
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default yeppers......

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers
    Congrats on the new boat, she's a good one! I drove her at Shadow Cliffs last year in OSY 400, sweet ride

and here's a picture of Jeff racing......

I also put Jeff in a disadvantage for OSY, as the boat was really a 20SSH then, so they had a 5MPH speed advantage on him, but he still finished either 2nd or 3rd, can't remember.......sorry Jeff!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers

Jeff, nice to meet you as well. Not sure if you mainly race in Region 11, but I hope to race with some of you folk I met in Oroville. That was a blast. My 71 yr. old dad had a good time too.

Sean

Thread Information