Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread: My Thundercat

Post Thanks / Like

Got out for a blast last night, weather was really nice, not warm though!
    Engine is up at 70mm and revving a bit higher but roughly the same speed, 57.5 knots with myself and my girlfriend in it.
    Went into a cave with it -

At the beach

hopefully a video attached from Sunday as wellIMG_8503.MOV

Post Thanks / Like

Was down at Easdale over the weekend at the Rib Rendezvous, had a really great time. Had an issue with the pull start before the event started, managed to get it fixed just in time on Saturday morning and caught up with the rest of the RIBs, over 30 the first day!
    Covered over 90 nautical miles on the first day, plenty of chop so gave the boat a good run. Also some nice calm sections to go flat out, used around 80 lt of fuel - thirsty!

The thundercat was a very wet ride but a lot of fun!
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, fs5 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boat and engine have been going really well lately, spent a lot of time cruising around here. Spent today fitting the primer kit in place of the chokes, haven't tried it yet but hopefully it should work well.

Should allow improved airflow as well, gives the air a clean channel down the carb throats

I also designed a new roller for the pull start, the old one was a bit worn!
    Likes 2dogsnight liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Roflhat,
    I'v enjoyed reading your post. Nice looking rig you have there.

I am building a Tohatsu M40D2 like the one you had. I have some Yamaha 60 carbs to go on it with the chokes removed. I will need to install a primer system like you did here. Is the primer electric or manual? Could you post a picture of the actual primer?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much, glad you're enjoying it!

Sounds like a good build, I'm following your progress on here. It's all manual, I have no electronics on this engine.
    I put the primer where the key start would normally go in the tiller, just took some filing and looks pretty good I think

Post Thanks / Like

So unfortunately looks like my photos can't be seen any more, photobucket wants $399 a year to host them... If I have time at some point I'll try upload them to a new site and edit all the posts

Recently changed the head on the Yamaha, removed the TSR one and found it was letting in water

so I've stuck the original head back on, performance seems about the same but waiting on some flat weather to get top speed figures. The old head isn't in great condition, if anyone has a spare 70ces head kicking about please give me a shout!

Also found that there was some flex in the transom, more than I'd like so I had another jack plate waterjet cut, 12.7mm thick so I could countersink bolts and have the plate flat against the transom which should reduce the flex. Also had some pull handles cut using the spare ali, these ones are a wee bit too big to fit through the cowling unfortunately so I'm having another made.

Tried the original 70hp carbs on, the engine just won't run properly with them, feels like it's running on 2 cylinders. I've rebuilt the carbs with new gaskets, cleaned the jets with carb cleaner and the airline and the jets are immaculate, so not sure what it could be. Also very hard to start with them, put the 90hp carbs back on and it starts easier and runs fine

Post Thanks / Like

Had some excellent weather last week, got out for a spin and got some footage with the drone

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread Information