Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stinger water pressure issue

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stinger water pressure issue

So last fall, I lost water pressure in my Stinger, no problem, I replaced the impellor this spring but the pressure never came back up so I took it apart in case I mite of messed up, every thing seemed ok, checked power head base bolts, also tight, blew the pressure gauge hose out with the compressor, tried new gauge, replace the lower unit and pump from my spare, same thing. This motor is stock except for the .020` over pistons, it has about 35 to 40 hours since rebuilt.
    What do I check next?
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the impeller break any blades (peices off)?
    If so did you make up the impeller with the bits before fitting new impeller
    A peice could be stuck in the colling passage of the engine/base plate
    Who aint addicted to fast boats.....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy I bought it from fried the impellor and pump housing, the impellor was in pieces and partially melted but that was 4 years ago and this motor was rebuilt from power head to lower unit since then, I guess a piece could of lodged in the block never to cause me problem till now. I ran it a couple of hours without any issues but this is a really good running motor and I hate to kill it this way from a hot spot. Beside the base plate where else could it be lodge to lower my pressure?
    Thanks, Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

lower unit off
    garden hose on the water tube and see if you can get the pressure back that you had.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    lower unit off
    garden hose on the water tube and see if you can get the pressure back that you had.
    Will try tomorrow, our city pressure is around 65 lbs., this should be interesting, good call, let you know what happens.
    Thanks.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    Will try tomorrow, our city pressure is around 65 lbs., this should be interesting, good call, let you know what happens.
    Thanks.
    Just push the hose on the water tube so it will blow off if there is a big restriction, 65lbs might be dangerous
    15-20 is safe.
    Where in the engine is your water pressure gauge plumbed?
    I would also start with removing the thermo and pressure relief valves and see that the water comes out of there easily with the cover off..
    This will basically check there is not a restriction to the powerhead.
    Highly unlikely there is a restriction after that.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did it, done it, not sure what I was expecting, I guess maybe chunks of rubber was going to fall to the floor lol.
    Lots of water come out of the stat and relief valves, pressure gauge wasn't sowing more then 5 lbs. after I bolted up the stat cover though, although I couldn't believe how much water comes out of the mid.
    P.S. pressure gauge is tap into the pisser just before it leaves the cowl, always been that way on this motor.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default water pump

Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    Did it, done it, not sure what I was expecting, I guess maybe chunks of rubber was going to fall to the floor lol.
    Lots of water come out of the stat and relief valves, pressure gauge wasn't sowing more then 5 lbs. after I bolted up the stat cover though, although I couldn't believe how much water comes out of the mid.
    P.S. pressure gauge is tap into the pisser just before it leaves the cowl, always been that way on this motor.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Mike
    This is not uncommon with old motors when restoring.....I have seen this especially with old Kiekhaefer mercs as they were made of cheap corrosion prone aluminum. Oxide would build and loosen and settle in the passages hardening like cement and block water. Sometimes mud would get in the pickup or a dirt-dobbler would build a nest in other types of motors. Oxide build-up is why the pistons in those green mercs often had scalded pistons on one side or other. That's only one reason I quit messing with them.

Now as for your Stinger outboard, here is what I always did with my mercs:

I would build up the water pump. I make sure it is properly sealed. I then take the gearcase and put it in water (tub or bucket). I make a drive shaft adapter with tough hose and clamps about 3" long. One end to top of drive shaft and other over socket of similar diameter driven by rechargeable battery drill. Don't use an A/C drill for this. I spin the shaft to see the pump shoot up water. I then blow through the mid section water tube (powerhead removed). If it is clear, I go to the powerhead. I check the inlet hole, and the outlet of the engine. I check the exhaust water jackets. If they are clear, I check the block water jackets removing the cylinder head or cover. You are bound to find the trouble. Always check for good gasket contacts (seal) throughout the system as well when you reassemble. That's all there is to it......

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

as you have the omc idea of pressure gauge in the pisser hose, how does it read if you place your finger over the pisser when running the engine?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much water coming out of mid?

Thread Information