Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stinger water pressure issue

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be....
    Corroded out adapter lets water skip the powerhead

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a fresh water motor, rebuilt 3 1/2 years ago, rebuilt lower unit, all gaskets and o rings replaced including base plate and exhaust chest. I have two 15'" motors, one in pieces at the moment so I swapped the gear case with a fresh water pump, no change. I have 3 boats and 1 spare 20" motor, why so many boats? Addiction I guess, summer is short in Canada and I'm busy with work, projects and other chores, not complaining, just saying lol, just trying to avoid tearing it apart that's all. I think pulling the power head off the base is going to be my next step when I get the time.
    Thanks again guys.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

we are not chasing a water pressure gauge that doesn't read like it used to are we?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    we are not chasing a water pressure gauge that doesn't read like it used to are we?
    No sir, tried a knew one before I got to far into this, not sure but I think the stream coming from the pisser running at w.o.t. is not quite at par also.
    Thanks for the reply Powerabout
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    No sir, tried a knew one before I got to far into this, not sure but I think the stream coming from the pisser running at w.o.t. is not quite at par also.
    Thanks for the reply Powerabout
    Mike
    Ok
    have you tried the pressure with your finger on the pisser to block it?
    If the pisser is partially blocked at the powerhead then the volume will lower the pressure on your gauge with that set up
    How about with garden hose up the pipe, clearly that should create tons of pressure..
    If you cant get pressure like that I would be looking at the adapter plate

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the plastic screen in water pick up in it's proper place? If loose, water pump pressure will pull it up and close off water pick up.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Ok
    have you tried the pressure with your finger on the pisser to block it?
    If the pisser is partially blocked at the powerhead then the volume will lower the pressure on your gauge with that set up
    How about with garden hose up the pipe, clearly that should create tons of pressure..
    If you cant get pressure like that I would be looking at the adapter plate
    Hey Powerabout, yes I tried the finger on the pisser, It goes up about 2.5 lbs. and I blew the gauge hose with an air compressor before with no difference, I ran the hose on the tube but still showing about 4 to 5 lbs., ran it on the muffs, no difference. I think I will lift the power head off the base and investigate this deeper as soon as I get a bit of free time but what I should do is finish my 56 cube Stinger then I would a spare motor. Ah to many projects so little time.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popa Sam View Post
    Is the plastic screen in water pick up in it's proper place? If loose, water pump pressure will pull it up and close off water pick up.
    Hey Popa Sam, screen is intact, I also tried my other nitro case on this motor without any difference.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not feeling at par these few day, flue like symptoms. Today I got cabin fever so went into the garage and got my hands dirty, tore the power head off, the base plate and exhaust can off, inspected the gaskets, water tube and water channels, didn't find anything so I cleaned her up and replaced the gaskets. Next the power head, took the head, water jacket and thermostat cover off, inspected, again nothing there. After that I took the exhaust plates apart inspected the gaskets and water channels, again nothing there, then it dawned on me, its the damn Gremlins, ya that's it, Gremlins. I ordered the rest of my gaskets that I was missing today, will be putting the rest back together next weekend, let you know what happens.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

While it is apart you might want to drill and tap a top of engine location for the pisser and fit the gauge where the pisser was.
    Pisser at top just helps vent any air

Thread Information