Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1962 NOA World Championships

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rog...

....I enjoyed our conversation very much, and hope to talk with you again soon. you're collecting of this information and making it available is very appreciated. I plan on scanning the roster's and final heats for the 1965 NOA World Championships that you sent in the next week or two. Those years of racing were watershed. It was the ending of one era and the beginning of the next. I just started racing when so many of the famous racers of that time were at their prime and quitting. Thanks for sharing your memories and I hope you will tell us of some other things that went on at the '62 nationals.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rog Dykehouse
    As I recall, most X hydros drivers simply used their F motors that year but they were all Classics.
    M 80, Chuck White had a six cylinder Merc turned 90- degrees via an adapter plate on the Quicky LU so he could run his six pipes straight out of the block with no elbows.He cast and installed his own cylinder pads!
    M 61, Lynn Crocket had unique OMC 4-60 with V 4 Rods etc mounted on a Merc Quicky with In/Out gears built into the adapter plate so he could start that beast in neutral and then pop it into gear .
    John Dertinger had a three cylinder Scott Mc Culloch about that time but I'm not certain he had it there.
    R 22, Hu Entrop was the class of the field with his 60 Cu In Merc running onfuel but with NO tuned pipes. He had recently set a record at ~ 107 MPH.

These guys were all innovators.

Dave Mason:
    Your grandfather Ray Mason really got our attention while testing his shovel nose Charlton hydro and his screaming Champ hot rod.He was concentrating on adjusting the carb as the boat slowly lifted while we all held our breath--when it blew over he was still twisting that Knob !! He wasn't hurt but the motor was likely history. He was a hell of a racer and a great guy!

Rog Dykehouse
    Rog,

I recall my dad telling me that story a couple times... I hope I can convince dad to sometime get online and tell some stories. He is not very fond of computers though. Most of the good stories come out while in the pits enjoying some beer and telling of the good old days. A lot come out in the shop while building boats and engines. We really talk a lot about getting back into Pro if this four stroke stuff really takes hold. I know we try to make Constantine MI race each year if we are not racing the Mods somewhere that weekend. Constantine is only about 45 minutes from us. Ed Thirlby usually ropes me into riding that Jet Ski all day towing boats.

Maybe some day I will take someones 350CCH for a spin and see how much fun it still is to smell those Alky fumes. I still can't find a better smell from outboards than a good alky smell.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The best way to learn a computer is BRF

David, it may be awhile if we wait on your Dad. Could you put up his stories in the meantime?

Thread Information