Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fibreglass in genneral new builds and repairs !!

Team Member
    China is where i live but new zealand is my home country
    Post Thanks / Like

You really need to get rid of that olds glass 100% !! the new glass need to be over a sanded surface anyway so grinding the old stuff off is absolutely vital !!. use the coarsest grinding discs you can find !! 24 grit or 36 grit 80 grit is way to fine !! and get rid of all the old loose glass that is there . when you done that post a reply and lets have a look at what you have please !
    To get a acceptable bond to the old surface it need scuffing thoroughly all over and really really clean !!! have you thought a about what resin you going to be using with your glass ???

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, hope you are still out there, snow has melted, almost done cleanin the crap glass off.............thanks

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

Fred, your PM's are full.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    You really need to get rid of that olds glass 100% !! the new glass need to be over a sanded surface anyway so grinding the old stuff off is absolutely vital !!. use the coarsest grinding discs you can find !! 24 grit or 36 grit 80 grit is way to fine !! and get rid of all the old loose glass that is there . when you done that post a reply and lets have a look at what you have please !
    To get a acceptable bond to the old surface it need scuffing thoroughly all over and really really clean !!! have you thought a about what resin you going to be using with your glass ???
    Agreed, scraped, ground & free of all the problem junk. The wood, maybe it was still green at manufacture time? A problem of some glass boats is constant wetness & stagnant air under the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this before, rotted floor, bad glass work & another that went up on rocks. What I took away from that was manufacturers are sloppy where they know the sun don't shine. The supporting woodwork can be pathetic & the rushed post mold glass work can be even worse. Maybe it's just the boats Ive seen. Anyhow I found that to take a stiff bladed scraper & grind a slight round out of it so the corners won't dig you can get alot of the added glass off. Tap it in at a good angle & you'll hopefully find that it tears away fairly well. Saves alot of grinding. For linear cutting a 4" grinder w/a diamond blade will cut the glass well & will resist tearing deep into the wood. The same grinder tool will take layered sandpaper discs that surface grind pretty good & is small enough to get in close.
    Resin, I'd say epoxy is worth every dollar, especially if this will be 'driven'. It will work over polyester & is ok on cedar too.
    Glass, for difficult bends where it resists laying down Ive used blue painters tape, wax paper, etc. There is sheeting made for this if you look into vacuum bagging. The trick being to get it to lay down & be saturated initially. An idea to consider would be a fiberglass deck installer once prepped, gets materials in bulk & is used to handling large applications. Oh yeah preparation, needs to be clean, free of dust, dirt, fuel &/or oil spills, low humidity dry & did I mention clean? I hope I never talk myself into another but admire your effort. Good Luck

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

she is cleanin up good with a 4" layered sandpaper wheel, just lookin for the best epoxy or resin for the best bond, she will be flyin.............

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used 2 brands, West & System 3, both seem good but West is thicker. There is an old comparison discussion on HR, would be a good read.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing around with the West epoxy and I love it. I can't believable how well it bonds to old glass. I'm still unsure about covering it with gel coat? I haven't seen an epoxy based gel coat yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Epoxy over cured sanded polyester works well, polyester over epoxy generally not recommended.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

Started out with polyester on my jetski days. Cheap and nasty that stuff. Rebuilt a 10ft mercub tunnel with vynalester and it stuck good. But after using epoxy, although expensive, I will not use anything less these days. High strenght, best bond and nowhere the fumes of the other two.
    The race never stops

Thread Information