Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever installed there own nose cone

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever installed there own nose cone

Thinking about buying a bobs nose cone/low water pickup to put on my 40hp evenrude. Has anyone done this themselves? And if so how hard and skill level/ tools needed. Or would it be easier to just send off or buy one already done?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

i've done it many times. on a nitro foot you should shorten the cone for best fit. my self i bond the cone on then have it tack welded , so i don't have to hope the welder gets it on right.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to this so I don't guess I understand by what you mean shorten the cone? How hard is it to get it all straight? I have searched ever where to see what people are doing to to get theirs straight, and what they are doing to cover up the water pickup. Thanks levi

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

did have some shots up hear once upon a time. did notice some pics have disappeared over time thinkin it was the format or some thing i used back then. i measure from the back of the bullet to the tip of the cone on each side. look around hear for Super Nitro foot , maybe some thing will come up

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

hears a shot
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, wonder if that hose comes with the kit? Over all difficulty?

Post Thanks / Like

I have done one on my omc 56, the one i did had no lwp through (running water pickup on the transom). there is no rocket science involved just a lot of fairing and grinding and fairing and grinding...
    so if you have the time and like the work, go for it otherwise buy a used one if you can find a case from someone reputable.
    Of course, one big advantage of doing it your self is that you know that it will stay on and if it breaks loose you only have your self to blame

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

that one is flawless, seamless to a wet sanded finish, the cone has been shortened to fit the height of the Nitro foot, all epoxy fill. it would be hard to get one this nice your first time out.............

Post Thanks / Like

Fred what is that in the middle around where the water pickup used to be? Is that a drain hole to keep water from sitting inside the foot and possibly freezing and cracking the housing during winter or something like that?

Post Thanks / Like

What I do to be sure a unit is 'straight' is make an alignment gauge that like an angle checker clamps to the prop shaft. An offset parallel straight edge reaches forward alongside the unit to measure from. with this you can determine if one side is fatter & get the point or edge exactly opposite the prop shaft [or where you want it]. I like Freds idea of securing it 1st but if done well good quality epoxy will work too. There should be enough material on the cone to fine tune after its on as long as its close. Good Luck

Thread Information