Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xf-6

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xf-6

We've made a new acquisition: XF-6 a 44ci looper. As I have been told it was owned at one point by Lon Stevens, but I do not think he was the original purchaser. The engine has probably been fired a couple times as again I have been told it was a "study motor" for Lon. The bore is completely standard across all bores. It does have evidence it saw fuel in it (minimal castor in some intake ports). Interestingly enough, the engine came with 5 NOS piston blanks and 4 new rods. I even have the original box the pistons were shipped from Stan to Lon Stevens. The plan as with the others is to restore to running condition. The only thing I don't have is a crank, everything is there. I am starting the build of FA-90 this weekend and FD-53 should be back home in a few weeks. Here are some pictures of the 44F.

Name:  AD870B8E-BF81-45F5-8CB6-CFC31F62E3A8_zpsgyulrody.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  FC5FCE09-2811-4A7D-9620-E6907B24759F_zpsvmhiihu9.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  7E32C785-DD0D-4DB9-B12A-46A2F31022BD_zpsbqt93l7f.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  67.7 KB
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-25-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For this build. What style crank should I use? Double row style or single row style needles for the main bearing? Is there a benefit to one over the other? I think the single row was later, why the change?

Post Thanks / Like

The older crank used the single row of bearings. It had the labyrinth seal on both ends of the rollers. The newer crank ran the double row mains. With just the one seal between the bearings it exposed the ends of the rollers to better lubrication. Run the double row crank. Better support of the crank and better lubrication.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the info Dick. Will do!

Does anyone know what happened to the first F looper? The 44ci?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell you what happened to the first 44 Looper, but I can tell you this.

O.F. Christner did not want to build a 44 Looper. He felt it would be too fast and would pose a danger to drivers based on the boats available at the time.

Jim Schoch and Earle Hull (OFC's son-in-law) secretly built the first 44 Looper while Chris was in Florida. They took it to a "free-for-all" race in Knoxville; kicked some major butt including a twin engine tunnel boat, and the rest is history.

A lot of people were very happy when Chris gave the OK to market what was the most powerful outboard of it's size at that time.

John Schubert and Charley Bradley are regular contributors to this forum. They both still speak with awe when talking about their 44 Loopers.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm here to tell you! I ended up with Bill Hosler's 44 flathead and went from a 40 cu inch Konig to the 44 on a D Butts Aerowing........ I can honestly say the Aerowing went from the safest ride I ever had to Atomic A Swift characteristics in one pull of the rope. I never found out how fast it would run.............ran out of boat.
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As Charlie said, The motor Hosler had was stout for sure. The 44 was chosen by most as they would handle better on the boat and also out accelerate the sixes on most courses. The six would blow by on the big courses as the boats then were a hand full with the six as they still are today. The 44 is much more nimble on the back of the boat today as yesterday, and they revved quicker. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info guys! I wonder if there is anyone left around that could shed light on the whereabouts of the first 44. Or if it is lost to time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure I know where the last one is and it's NOS, I also know of a NOS 6 cylinder block in the shipping box. Sorry, not telling on either... The owners may chime in.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The last 44ci NOS has been mentioned on this site and on the quincylooper website. That's not secret, though I haven't heard from him (seen him post) in a long time now. Sent him an email actually a couple times. Anyway, did not know of the 6 cylinder NOS though. I wonder what will happen to some of these engines "hidden away" in the next 10 to 15 years? The ones that are not mentioned on the internet and spoken of only in passing. I hope they get passed on, at least, that is my wish.

Thread Information