Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Xf-6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F-12 View Post
    There is also another six out there that has no numbers for a serial....... simply stamped "GENE EAST"......
    These are pictures of the first 6 cylinder looper built in the spring of 1966 for John McMullen of Flint Mi. ( M-14 ).

The top of the block with Genes handy work and the side of the block where the serial number is normally located, you can make out "GENE" punched in with what looks like a very small pin punch.

Name:  looper ident 1.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  looper ident 2.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  207.2 KB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW !

Gene was and will always be a Quincy Welding super star !

Folks they broke the mold !

regards

Paul A Christner .

Post Thanks / Like

Rich and Paul

Thanks for the kind words. I never worked a day at Quincy Welding. How can you call doing what you enjoyed so much for 11 years, work?

I've always been embarrassed by stamping my name on that block. I wish I had not been so vain.

The only person at Quincy Welding who ever build a complete motor by himself was O.F. Christner!

All of us @ Q.W. contributed in our own way in building the BEST outboard racing engines of their day.

We built a great product and we had every reason to be proud of the results!

I do remember being at a boat show in Muscatine, IA several years ago. I was standing near Richard Austin's display when 2 former boat racers who had never seen a Quincy Looper before, asked if I knew anything about those "funny looking" motors. I showed them my name on this particular engine and answered many of their questions. I think they left believing I did know a little bit about those "funny looking" motors.

I have many fond memories of being involved with boat racing over the past 60 years as either a spectator or participant. There are no finer people on this planet than BOAT RACERS!

Post Thanks / Like

She's home. I have a bit of work to do. Modifying the tower I am going to use, opening up the carb bolt areas on the Carter Ns to match the front crankcase bolt pattern, make some exhaust pipe gaskets (not fun! ), etc.

Name:  31EA927C-99C9-4D7F-AF5E-413D2A7894C3_zpsamyhzes5.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  201.5 KB

Name:  AA70E4BE-4E95-4E6C-8CC6-16959BFA900E_zpsvbop4ste.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  245.5 KB

Name:  F33185E0-8028-4CB7-95A4-34FECAEC48D7_zpshvdx1kyb.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  215.2 KB

Name:  504A8023-9BA0-4EE9-9CE0-372F63D25846_zpsuvpmfxzv.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  434.1 KB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow ! Dr. Litzell is the number one Machinist and engine builder on Pro outboards Living !

Regards !

Paul A Christner .

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Paul... That's how rumors get started... Now Steve will get wind of this and start charging what it REALLY cost to do this type of work...

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Getting some progress on the 44. I had to machine and adapt my existing steel tower and adapter plate to fit this engine. Long story, but the bearing carrier position and therefore bolts are different on this engine. I had to make relief holes for the bolts in the tower and adapter plate as a result.

Going to make a run out to Fastenel for more mounting hardware (carb nuts and fuel pump bolts). The crank threads are slightly burred so I have to resolve that. It's never easy, but then this stuff wouldn't be as fun.

Name:  98c22d62-6cbe-4ba5-825b-63cbfced861d_zpsazefqli0.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  383.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Poor video quality, but you get the idea.

Thread Information