Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone ever dynoed a 20H conversion?

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumleyfips View Post
    There were some good ASH's in Region 2 in the 70's; France,Marcell,Webster and more. I don't think I ever saw any of them run a 3 blade, but they all ran real high.
    I started running 3 blades, approximately 1977 - 78 time frame. Made from again 48-23636 Kamics, Dick Fickett cut them apart and welded them back into a 3 blade and Papa Smith worked it. Then later Craig Dewald was making 3 blades from castings similar to these original ones.
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Was that one of the three blades that had about a 1/8" weld then a 3/8" air gap. We were throwing blades off 2 blade ASH whels at the time and I wondered how those things held together. Then I remembered that Dick could weld a fart to a cloud.

I sent a box of one and 2 blade stuff to Czblewski (sp? ) in 79 but he died and I never did get a 3 blade.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We still don't know the dyno reading for a 20H, but the conversion made so much more power the original 20H cranks would break.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumleyfips View Post
    Was that one of the three blades that had about a 1/8" weld then a 3/8" air gap. We were throwing blades off 2 blade ASH whels at the time and I wondered how those things held together. Then I remembered that Dick could weld a fart to a cloud.

I sent a box of one and 2 blade stuff to Czblewski (sp? ) in 79 but he died and I never did get a 3 blade.
    Yes, Dick Ficket was very good....... Never threw any blades. They were welded on the hub cut into 120 degree wedges.
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found where Hubbell's dyno figures were. His 60's catalogues advertised dyno testing for stocks and said that decent engines read as follows : KG4-16hp, Kg7-18 hp, unconverted 20H-21 hp, 30H-30 hp and 40H-40 hp. Even if the conversion added 15% that would only be 24 hp. Although dynos differ the Champion claim of 26 hp for a B stock seems like damn good advertising to me.

Thread Information