Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sst70 type merc power

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sst70 type merc power

Can anyone tell me or does anyone want to have a guess at what the power output was on the old sst70 half merc v6 engines was??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default half 6 power

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Can anyone tell me or does anyone want to have a guess at what the power output was on the old sst70 half merc v6 engines was??
    The first good ones were made from the SST 140 -200hp block. This with higher compression and good tuner made about 125. The last one I had was made from the 2.4 bridgeport. Along with real good head and good tuner would be about 130-135 hp
    Long tuner would turn 7200 with 14:15 gears. Shourt special tuner and 13:16 gears ran 8600-8700 rpms really happy.
    I got all the good props yet if anyone needs them.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great info, thanks Mike,
    Wow, that power is up there equal with the inline six! (@ the prop) I imagine you were using a quick foot with yours, and that's what the props suit?
    How much more power (if at all...) do you think half a 2.5 would make? Is 150 out of the question? I have a 2.5 block that is supposedly bringing over or around 300 in v6 format that I might have a play with...
    We're they your power heads on ebay that I saw recently?
    What weights were the hulls you guys used?
    Do you think 390lbs bare hull is too much?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just re read and seen your reference to gear ratios.....that answers the question on quick foots....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Great info, thanks Mike,
    Wow, that power is up there equal with the inline six! (@ the prop) I imagine you were using a quick foot with yours, and that's what the props suit?
    How much more power (if at all...) do you think half a 2.5 would make? Is 150 out of the question? I have a 2.5 block that is supposedly bringing over or around 300 in v6 format that I might have a play with...
    We're they your power heads on ebay that I saw recently?
    What weights were the hulls you guys used?
    Do you think 390lbs bare hull is too much?
    I have the engine that I won the F-110 OPC nationals with yet. It is a 1/2 2.5L and would run down the straight at Kankakee with a 120.
    It was a rocket, I loved driving it.
    Engine details: I started with 2.5L 200 fishing block from about 1992. I made my own sleeves and ported it like a Mod U engine, lots of hand work. Light machined Champ conrods balanced end for end. Coated pistons. I made a Billet intake using the big venturi V-6 carb, but centered one venturi over the reed block and sorter by about 1 inch. Machine a very nice intake horn for the one big venturi. Machined and ground exhaust chest, 26 cc head with angled squish band different bowl dia to keep MSV under control. V-6 racing flywheel with Rapair R2 high out put racing stator and swith box. (the switch box not legal for regular racing) Hand fabed a special tuner referenced from a Rouen S3000 tuner. It was fun to build and more fun the drive on a SST70 boat. (Butt pucker required) I always figured it was about 165 hp. Ran it with 14:15 gears on SSM#6 and 16 pitch prop. Most fun ride I ever had.
    I loaned the motor to some one and they ran regular fuel in it and scored all three cylinders. It needed good race gas. I have new thin ring +.015 ProMax pistons coated, for it but never took it apart to fix it yet. Would consider selling for reasonable offer for powerhead tuner and prop.
    wpt1mike@gmail.com could send photos

Thread Information