Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: John's Custom Marine Is Closing Down

Post Thanks / Like

Default 45 Years..John's Custom Marine

I started teaching in 1966, so that was 48 years ago. John's Custom Marine must have opened about 1968. I remember stopping by the shop after school. I really didn't know John Stoker, but I had seen him at boat races over the years. I knew that John had worked with Rich Hallett and Lee Taylor on the Jet Boat World Record, but knew little about John. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRQIW2mskEw Lee Taylor broke the water speed record in 1967.

John raced a Star Craft with twin "BOX STOCK" Mercury at the 1968 Havasu Outboard World Championships. John drove well and was doing well until the stock motors fell off.

After Havasu, I stopped at John's Custom Marine and spent time talking to John and his wife, Tina.

I didn't do much with the Stoker Family between 1968 and 1971.

After Havasu, 1971 when Sanders had won a Rick Keller's boat was second and I was 15th, I decided I need some help. I had helped Keller with his new Scotti. He had Ron Jones replace the last 12" of the pads to take the "HOOK OUT".

So, with the help of John's Custom Marine, they repainted my boat and helped me "Balance" the boat. My dad and moved the steering wheel back four inches, moved the seat back 6 inches and flatted the pads and also made the pads parallel with each other.

The next spring, we started having classes at Parker. Seems I won the "100 inch class" and John Custom Marine won a new class called MOD VP, but was disqualified becasue they weren't running when the race ended (They were getting gas)..

After that MOD VP grew and John's Custom Marine and Al Stoker were MOD VP. You couldn't take MOD VP without talking about John's Custom Marine.

During these years the Stoker Family and the Russ Hill, Jr. Family and the Ron Hill Family became very close and spend many a week at the Colorado River together.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-23-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Thread Information