Hello,

Lee Richter, the original "MrBadwrench" of Port Lavaca, TX was my great uncle. (His sister Gertrude was my paternal grandmother.)

I know Lee was a driver for Red Adair & god knows who else, and some of his WWII history but that's about it. (I can confirm the Bay of Pigs story but that's about it.) I would like to hear from any of you guys who knew Lee or raced with him. Pictures of Lee or his boats are particularly appreciated.

I really only got to know Lee later on in his life. I know he was a high octane, hell-raiser sort of guy back in the day. My original interest was generated when I heard of his war service. I was always into military history & that has sort of morphed into family history now... Lee had 79 bombing missions in Africa, Sicily, Sardinia, and Italy with the 34th bombardment squadron of the 17th (later 12th) Bomb Group. My understanding was the required number of missions was 30 (later reduced to 25 for morale reasons) and Lee (eventually, as squadron commander) kept fudging the mission board so he could keep flying. I directly asked him about the high number of missions & he replied "I just liked killin' Kraut's" with a little twinkle in his eye. That was about the extent of his political-correctness. With Lee such strait talk was endearing cuz you knew he had walked the walk so he had a right to talk the talk. I also asked if he ever came close to cashing in his chips. He said only once (which was a stretch cuz I know he'd crash landed at least one B-26 which was all kinds of FUBAR) but he, with a troubled tone related the story of switching missions at the last minute with a fellow commander who as it turned out received a direct flak burst. The post-war Bay of Pigs story is fairly well known. Lee was approached to tow a mysterious shot-to-hell boat to Miami shortly after Bay of Pigs. I hear Lee undertook the tow, but declined further employment with "the company". I think he was done with "authority types" by that time.

Anyway, anything you guys can help dig up would be invaluable to our family.

- Ray Lankford