Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Old Looper Pipes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    I enjoy reading about the Quinault Canoe racers. If any of the Quinault people remember Jim Jackson, Please contact me.

We built a lot of motors for the Quinaults and Jim was Tribal Chairman at the time. Jim made several trips to Quincy and we developed a strong friendship.

Gene, if you want to know about the canoe racing, which is alive and well, contact Ric Montoya on the HR site. Ric races the canoes himself, and confirms that they are pretty squirrelly. He has a couple of really fun videos on HR entitled (roughly), "Original North American Runabout:" go to the General Hydroplane & Runabout Discussion, Page 6. An old pal and fellow BSH/AOH/BOH driver from the Sixties and Seventies, Gene Laes, used to help tune the engines for the canoes in those days when the engines were alky-burning 20H's. Gene is still racing, mostly C Service I believe. I don't think he's on-line, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Good that you guys have the certificate (and J Dub has the prop and the boat), but I was talking about the engine. Maybe two weeks ago, David Tenney, son of Bill Tenney who started the whole Anzani thing, contacted me after reading something I had posted on Anzanis. He wanted to know if the 100 mph engine was possibly available for purchase. I called Hallum, about getting the two of them in touch, and Jim told me the original engine was NLA, and why.

I tried to PM you but your box was full.

Post Thanks / Like

Default At Modesto Kilos, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    When running their Anzanis in the days of Lucas magnetos, Walin, Sutter, and Anderson used to have the big Vacturi carb on the side of the engines set somewhat lean so they could get on-plane without fouling plugs. Once they got going, they would reach back and give the main needle a twist to richen 'er up. This being a marginal operation, one of them fabricated a cable-operated mixture-adjuster that worked more precisely and eliminated locking the throttle and turning around in the boat. There's a photo of the "100mph Anzani" on Charlie Williams' site that shows this feature.
    Modesto Reservoir, Waterford, California ( AKA "Modesto") About 1962, I upped my D RUnabout record. But I seem to remember Gerry Walin running hs "B" Anzani at almost 100 MPH. Several things stood out in my mind: 1. No skeg on the gearcase 2. Propshaft even or above the bottom 3. Big ASSED Cary two blade cleaver 4. Strange needle valve.

As I recall, Gerry would leave the pits going about 20 MPH and head for the kilo, every inch gaining speed. When he hit the kilo it looked like he was going 50 MPH. But when he exited the kilo, it looked like he was doing over 100 MPH. Seems the record was 97 MPH.

I never saw Gerry again until 1971 when he and Alan Stinson beat me by one foot to win the Parker 9 Hour.

In 1967, I was driving Harry Bartolomei's equipment. We broke three World Records that weekend. But the funniest thing was that Jose Cisneros built hs own boat and had a Anzani but I think Hallum. Jose rode with me when we broke the FRR record. But on his on boat he had a needle valve four feet long.

Jose managed to build this boat without glue, so it leaked like hell. The fact that had ridden with me, I felt I should help him run the kilo. Jose took off at about 20 MPH and ran down the kilo...everyone was laughing at him as he went about 45 mph and the record was held by Gerry Walin at about 90.... On the return run, Jose went like 92 MPH...he was still richening up the needle valve when he passed the pits.

We put Jose's boat on his saw horses. In shock, I told him I thought he could break Gerry's record. Somehow, as Jose fueld up for the next run, he swallowed nitro fuel and was choking. The ambulance took him to the hospital. The hospital thought he'd tried to kill himself and would not let him out of the hospital. Harry and I had to go to the hospital, the next day, and "BAIL" Jose out. The next day the wind blew and we didn't get to run.

That July, 1967, Jose drove to Valleyfield to pit for me. After we won the 500 CC John Ward Trophy race, Harry said he was buying dinner. Jose ordered a Fillet Mignon, with a side order of Fillet Mignon. Never heard of that before or after.

I only met Gerry Walin twice, but Leonard Keller had told us about him many times in his type written notes. If you ever bought anything from Keller, he always wrote you a letter, typewritten, on a piece of paper about 4 inches by 4 inches. Great reading, always.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-17-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

look familiar Smitty??? From Last night at the SOA Commodores Ball.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sutter, Yes!

Lee Sutter in the dark blue sweater. The other guy looks familiar but help me. Is that Sutter's Competition Anzani???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Lee Sutter in the dark blue sweater. The other guy looks familiar but help me. Is that Sutter's Competition Anzani???
    the "other guy" is Ralph Hildebrand......and the Hallum/Walin record setting B Anzani......
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ralph Hildebrand

Ralph Hildebrand, I should have known him. Anyone ever write Ralph's or Lee's boat racing's life stories?

Post Thanks / Like

Sutter's racing stories are 100% accurate 50% of the time! LOL!

J-Dub

Thread Information