Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Old Looper Pipes

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure it was the 431 State street.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by champ20B View Post
    Well, looking at the following pics of the block prototype, it did not look like a carefully thought out design. The probable reason why it wasn't faster was likely because the exhaust ports were facing against one another, and all that will do is to expose opposing piston skirts to a un-necessary blast of direct exhaust heat. It could have caused unwanted friction from expansion and/or may have burned away needed lubrication as well if run lean. Quincy did well back then in the larger 30-40+cid classes until the opposed four cylinder 500-700cc konigs came around, but Konig and Anzani seemed like better engines in the two cylinder "A" and "B" classes "early on" probably because of better exhaust port arrangement at least. Even the simple stock based Alky A-B mercs could just about equal them at times.
    With all due respect, I disagree with your assessment of Looper vs Konig & Anzani. Your statement regarding "simple stock based Alky A-B mercs" equaling a Looper at times is wishful thinking.

RE your comment, "it didn't look like a carefully thought out design". I'm certain there may be an element of truth there.
    However, please be advised the first time this crude power head was run on a boat it was 3 mph faster than our best modified 20-H. Back to back runs with no setup changes, just a P/H swap. I believe most people would consider that a success.

By the way, a simple check of the record books will prove the Merc-Quincy Looper was one "Hell of a good motor" in it's day.

I'm extremely proud to have been associated with the man who didn't carefully think out his design

Post Thanks / Like

This my "Poorly Designed" Looper that was built in 19-Who-Knows-When that ran faster on two different occasions than my 2005 700cc Konny... And my Konny ain't no slouch...
    Name:  Resized.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  76.0 KB
    J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an 1100cc Quincy though and a really nice one at that. I know its not a 700 like your Konny. And its not a poor design. The inline four or six cylinder engines couldn't help but have facing exhaust ports because of cylinder arrangement. I think Quincy did very well for their time in history based from the mercury platform. They just did not have to go that route with their two cylinders though. They may have had better "A" and "B" engines if they hadn't. The 20cid racers of all kinds are my favorites.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an 1100cc Quincy though and a really nice one at that. I know its not a 700 like your Konny. And its not a poor design. The inline four or six cylinder engines couldn't help but have facing exhaust ports because of cylinder arrangement. I think Quincy did very well for their time in history based from the mercury platform. They just did not have to go that route with their two cylinders though. They may have had better "A" and "B" engines if they hadn't. The 20cid racers of all kinds are my favorites.
    Personally I don't believe that you actually know what you are talking about. The A & B's were extremely strong & fast. I won the B championship in 1968 against the almost new 4 cylinder Konigs. Gerry Waldman was winning the A class in to the 70's although I should have beat him with my FA Konig in 1969 but he was just as fast & maybe even faster in to the early 70's.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time I see one of these Quincy cross-flow twin cyl blocks, I always wonder why the Swanson Hotrod guys didn't make one of these with flat top pistons?....
    Just imagine a 15 or 20ci rotary valve Hotrod looper! That would have took "A" and "B" class alky championships by storm back then.
    That is not a cross flow motor, it is the first cast or redo of a standard set of cylinders that were converted to Loop type. Got a little late to the party but back in the day of these motors, they were King. Though there were some good Konig's and Anzanti's but the average racer could buy a Flathead and kick A$$ on the Konig guy's. The A was my favorite as the two cylinders go but All the 4 and 6 cylinder models would turn my Crank. Back in these day's the Quincy Price Sheet showed all the parts and prices if you wanted to build a motor yourself, and they had prices so that you could send a Mk 15 or 20H type block to them to have it converted to a looper. Gene should / remember this. ( I know we are getting old buddy). Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Who are you calling old, Steve?

Talk louder, I can't hear you!

Let me turn up my hearing aid. I stood to close to too many Loopers.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my boat racing buddies and their families!

Post Thanks / Like

Gene
    I hear you loud and clear. I sure had fun making music with my Quincy Loopers!
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

I took this picture at Devils Lake a few months ago... It wasn't a tough decision...

Name:  10-16-14 191.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  155.0 KB

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you went with the "Tower of Power"!

Thread Information