Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dad's Original FA-1 Restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Just got'r loosened up! Just let it sit with Gasoline in it over night and a 4' pry bar did the trick! JUST KIDDING!!!! Thank you all for the suggestions! I had given one last try prior to going to Ace Hardware to pick up some Lacquer thinner.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that your dad got his first looper(s) over the winter of 1965-66. I started racing in '65, and as I recall it there was big excitement over the new two and four-cylinders over the winter and the next season. And Konigs; Don Hansen got himself a new four-carb (pre-rotary-valve engine) D Konig and a beautiful new Goff hydro and showed it at Clark Marshall's "Custom Auto, Hot Boat, and Speed Show," at the Seattle Center Colosseum during the next winter, '66-'67. I don't think Howard Shaw ran a looper until '69, because (I think) it was on a little Machetti I sold him at the end of '68. In '65, Howard Anderson was still running Merc deflector engines (on a couple of Dave Karelsen's "Fine-Craft" hydros), and he would have been among the first to get loopers, which is why my guess is 1966 for the first year those engines were raced out here. Certainly could be wrong, however.

Post Thanks / Like

So I asked Howard Shaw a couple questions about the timeline of the engine as my Dad and Howard raced together for years.

"Wow long time ago I want to say it was 1964, I bought my B looper in 67 and I ran ASR for 2 years prior to getting my first quincy motor.

He ran it on the Jonney come lately Hydro then he got the cab over karelson hydro “the rev n newer” and we all ran B hydro and runabout with them.

Your correct Bill ran the deflector B most of the time.

Howard
    "

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I phoned Howard last night. I asked him if the Marchetti hydro I sold him was the first and only boat on which he ever ran his B Looper, and he said yes it was. I said that in that case, since I sold him that boat near the end of 1968 (something I do know for sure), he did not run his looper until 1969 (not '67, as he recalled when you talked to him). He agreed with that, said he refinished the boat (to Myers green), put it in the Clark Marshall show that winter, and raced it during the 1969 season.

He said his impression of when your dad and grandpa started running loopers is for some earlier year than I think, but admits that his memory of it is pretty hazy. So I'm sticking with '66, for now. Howard thinks that Bob Waite had the first four-cylinder looper in the area, and maybe the first looper of any size, but I don't think Waite would have got it much sooner than your dad got his first looper, if at all. Now this might not be right, but my memory is that he got the loopers in the same year he bought the "Revenoor" cabover Karelsen, and I'm sure that was in 1966. I bought a new BSH for that season, and thought it was about the coolest-looking boat ever until I saw Ed finishing up the first of the two of those A/B cabovers, which went to Lee Sutter and/or Ron Anderson.

Does Paul Christner have any sales records? That could settle the question, if it matters.

Thread Information