Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Accounted for Quincy Looper Serial Numbers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    Did you ever contact this gentleman regarding the B looper that might be a prototype? I tried to PM you but your box is full.

I added another D engine to the list. I know there are more out there!
    RE: The FB with no S/N.

I just got off the phone with Loren Kaus. He tells me he had an FB with no S/N. He states he went to a race in Canada with his Dad and brother. Canadian Customs would not admit a motor without a S/N.

Loren said his Dad made 3 straight lines with a screwdriver to serve as a S/N.

Could this be the missing link??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    RE: The FB with no S/N.

I just got off the phone with Loren Kaus. He tells me he had an FB with no S/N. He states he went to a race in Canada with his Dad and brother. Canadian Customs would not admit a motor without a S/N.

Loren said his Dad made 3 straight lines with a screwdriver to serve as a S/N.

Could this be the missing link??
    Interesting Gene. What can you tell us about loopers leaving the factory without serial numbers? I know of one other, Dick Austin's 60ci Looper that was the first sold does not have a serial number. The #2 60ci which he also owns, DOES have a serial number. Steve has told me he knows of one C looper without serial numbers.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You forgot to add FA 208 and FC 76, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for people's opinions on what the serial number is of the pictured B looper I saw in person last weekend. Lots of numbers there. I think I know what it is, but wanted people's opinions. Thanks

Name:  054f6b40-5602-4c16-a134-006f803918f6_zpsn1dxa9ga.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  237.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose a motor could have been raced by a QW driver that did not get stamped, then someone bought the motor from QW at a race site thinking it was better than what was available to the general public.

Most improvements were always in the cylinder block. It's possible a new set of cylinders was installed on an existing crankcase assembly before the block was stamped.

I personally am not aware of any motors being shipped without a stamp.

Dick Austin has a 60 c/i motor with my name on it.

Some one who raced boats prior to the Quincy Looper engines was at a boat show in Muscatine, IA a few years ago. I was standing near Dick's display (which is awesome, 4 fully rigged F-Hydros on one trailer). The trailer alone is an engineering marvel that you would have to see to believe!

The gentleman was well versed in cross flow Mercurys, but he was puzzled about the strange looking motors. He asked if I knew anything about them.

I showed him the motor with my name. He agreed that perhaps I might know something about them.

We had a good talk. I explained how the loop scavenge system worked and he went away happy.

While QW was always trying to improve the product, I can assure you we NEVER built special motors for our team drivers. Every motor we ever built was available for sale at the advertised price on a first come, first served basis.

In fact, on two separate occasions we had a customer accuse us of that. Twice, Chris instructed me to swap our P/H with theirs. Twice, we beat them using their own motor while they ran the "special" Quincy motor.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    I suppose a motor could have been raced by a QW driver that did not get stamped, then someone bought the motor from QW at a race site thinking it was better than what was available to the general public.

Most improvements were always in the cylinder block. It's possible a new set of cylinders was installed on an existing crankcase assembly before the block was stamped.

I personally am not aware of any motors being shipped without a stamp.

Dick Austin has a 60 c/i motor with my name on it.

Some one who raced prior to the Quincy Looper engines was at a boat show in Muscatine, IA was curious about Dick's motors. I was standing near Dick's display and the gentleman asked me if I knew anything about the strange looking motors. I showed him the motor with my name. He agreed that perhaps I might know something about them.

We had a good talk. I explained how the loop scavenge system worked and he went away happy.

While QW was always trying to improve the product, I can assure you we NEVER built special motors for our team drivers. Every motor we ever built was available for sale at the advertised price on a first come, first served basis.

In fact, twice we had customer accuse us of that. Twice, Chris instructed me to swap our P/H with theirs. Twice we beat them using their own motor while they ran the "special" Quincy motor.
    Ahhhh, isn't that special. LOL Couldn't help myself Gene. After I won the 68 "B"Hydro nationals we were on the ramp to the HI right behind you guys. Chris leaned out the rear window & yelled "Johnny, if you want a really fast motor, let us build it. WE did get one but the one my dad & I built was better. Just Saying!!!!
    I'm enjoying the warm weather if Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

John, don't tell me you don't miss the ice and snow. I'll forgive you for the "special" remark only because I think you're "special" yourself.

Hope to see you in DePue.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I figure this is good a place as any for my first post. Have been reading the entire site and reliving some of the best racing times I ever had. I used to race (quit in 1970 after alex.) in the alky C D & F classes out of the Texas clubs and C & D gas burners in Texas and Okla. I still have four Quincy loopers (we called them flatheads) along with many spare parts. Was wondering if they were worth anything? Took down S/N's this morning, they are-FC-71, FD-86, FD-107 and XF-107. The XF is a 44ci.

Post Thanks / Like

Value depends on condition. I sent you a PM. Thanks for the serial numbers. Welcome to the website!

Post Thanks / Like

Ronald , I am glad you are on here with us. Wayne Baldwin and I had a good time with you and Donald. You guys had along drive to race in LSBRA. Thank you for the all the effort.

Thread Information