Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Accounted for Quincy Looper Serial Numbers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed. That's an early one, it has been added.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    I guess now that people are going crazy over some projects currently underway and giving a lot of focus to the loopers now is as good a time as any to unveil a project I have been working on.

I have been compiling a list of "out in the open", "currently accounted for", and "surviving" Quincy Looper serial numbers so as to get a handle on how many are left and of what class. I don't have the pedigree for the fast majority of the engines, it is not the point of this little project. All of this information has either: a) been obtained by people mentioning their engine serial numbers online b) having people tell me their serial numbers or c) seeing engines in person. I do have names of the individuals who own some of them, but that also is NOT the point of this project. I will NOT publish who owns these engines; honestly for the ones I have already it really doesn't matter because anyone who really cares can simply do a Google search and find out who posted it out in the open. But, for any serial numbers people send me directly, I will assume unless told otherwise, not to publish.

Again, I have compiled a list of "currently discovered/owned/accounted for" Quincy Loopers. If you would like to participate you can PM me the numbers you have and I will add them to the list. Here below are the known serial numbers that I have according to class. Sidenote: For "F" class engines, please tell me if it is a 4 cylinder 44ci, 6 cylinder 60ci or 66ci, or "D and a half" engine. If it is a D and a half, please if possible, provide the serial numbers of the D and B engines it came from to form the 6. Thanks!

"A" Class Quincy Loopers

FA-1:
    FA-8:
    FA-10:
    FA-60:
    FA-64:
    FA-88:
    FA-90:
    FA-108:
    FA-127:
    FA-136:
    FA-142:
    FA-148:
    FA-175:
    FA-179:
    FA-198:
    FA-214:

"B" Class Quincy Loopers

XB-1: “Super B”
    FB-1: (original looper prototype)
    FB-6:
    FB-54:
    FB-91:
    FB-110:
    FB-115:
    FB-127:
    FB-148:
    FB-166:
    FB-182:
    FB-199:
    FB-204:
    FB-206:
    FB-213:
    FB-218:
    FB-221:
    FB-231:
    FB-232:

"C" Class Quincy Loopers

FC-48:
    FC-51:
    FC-52:
    FC-62:
    FC-64:
    FC-79:
    FC-84:
    FC-89:
    FC-96:

"D" Class Quincy Loopers

FD-27:
    FD-36:
    FD-46:
    FD-53:
    FD-59:
    FD-67:
    FD-84:
    FD-88:
    FD-102:

"F" Class Quincy Loopers

60ci #1 (was never given a serial number, is either XF-2, 3, or 4)
    XF-5: 44ci
    XF-6: 44ci
    XF-7: 60ci (#2 60ci)
    XF-14: 44ci
    XF-25: 60ci
    XF-27: 44ci
    FX-34: 44ci
    XF-41: 60ci
    FX-51: 44ci
    XF-52: 66ci (yes that's correct)
    FX-54: 44ci
    FX-57: 44ci
    Last 44ci NOS: never stamped with number
    I think what you are doing is GREAT! I'd like to provide some insight on the 6 bangers.

You asked for information on the S/N's of the engines the sixes were built from.

To the best of my knowledge, the only six cylinder Looper ever built from an existing four cylinder is the one built by my friend Bruce Summers.

All the others, with the exception perhaps two who were built by someone other than Quincy Welding were built from RAW castings. Three D blocks and rear crankcase halves were cut and welded to make 2 six bangers. The front crankcase halves were Mercury raw castings.

There were also a couple of sixes milled from a solid billet of aluminum much in the same manner as Dick Austin's "Beast".

Yes there were a lot of aluminum chips left over from those.

If anyone else built a six in the manner Bruce Summers built his, I love to hear about it.

Your efforts to ID the Loopers still in existence is greatly appreciated by all of us who loved those sweet screamers.

I hope this information helps you.

Keep up the good work!

Got to sign off, I've got to buy new batteries for my hearing aids!

Post Thanks / Like

Gene,

Thank you very much for that detailed information. As with most discussions with historical topics, it is the nuances that are most important, case in point; I was not aware that most of the 6's were from "Raw" castings, but assumed that more people had made them like Bruce Summers' engine, when in fact as you have now cleared up for me, that Quincy made a lot of them from the D's. This solves a general question that was always in my mind. "Why are those two 'billet aluminum' 6's mentioned specifically?" in regard to the looper history and more importantly why they are referred to with such reverence (the billet blocks). Now I know that it is because the 6's weren't built that way other than those few cases. That is good to know!

P.S. Yes get those hearing aid batteries replaced as there are MANY looper restorations going on at once! I know that my restorations will all have videos documenting their first start as well as run's on their period accurate hydros, and JW has already given excellent mouth watering videos of his 6 cylinder. Get ready for this coming season!

Also: I know this has been mentioned before, but I don't think any definitive answer was given. Does anyone know why some of the "F" loopers have "XF" and others are "FX" in front of their serial numbers?

Post Thanks / Like

XF v FX. What's the difference?

I don't know!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    XF v FX. What's the difference?

I don't know!
    How about this one Gene, Stamp Boy at factory was dislexic (sp)! Oh I have a six in my shop now for sleeves and it is billet. Also have one from Bruce that he is making as well. And Brandon, your D is all but done now just putting the finishing touches to it, At This time I have more flatheads in my shop for work than I do Konig's and VRP's! Am I back in the late 60's again?? Fun times

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well now that is winter time in ga and striper fishing has not turned on,will go over to the brother's house and get serial off motor.it has been in a couple boxes since '65 or'66,when dad won at either Alex or Lakeland and was tore down for inspection.should be a B or C.was back home in Savannah a couple weeks ago and went by Charlie Redmonds old shop location.now a convience store(wasn't 2 years ago) and wondered what happened to his stuff and also someone elses.will have to find out.Thank you for doing this BJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    How about this one Gene, Stamp Boy at factory was dislexic (sp)! Oh I have a six in my shop now for sleeves and it is billet. Also have one from Bruce that he is making as well. And Brandon, your D is all but done now just putting the finishing touches to it, At This time I have more flatheads in my shop for work than I do Konig's and VRP's! Am I back in the late 60's again?? Fun times
    How about this? If we're talking about a 44 with an XF number; remember the very first 44 was built without O.F. Christner's approval for a Class X Free-for-all race in Knoxville. I don't know this to be a fact, but it is an interesting theory. Wouldn't that be treasure?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FA-8

I just got a phone call from Paul Christner about this engine.

Paul has identified FA-8 as a Quincy Welding Team engine.

This power head was actually raced by Jim Schoch or Earle Hull; possibly even David Christner or the "Boss Man" himself O.F. Christner.

It's even possible that I have driven this motor. Chris used to let me take a ride after the races were over, and sometimes when we were testing at Twin Oaks.

Doc Collins used to rib me about my driving position. He said he could always tell when I was in the boat, "because my *** was higher than my head".

I eventually learned how to get my body properly positioned and did fairly well in "Wildcat" racing around the Quincy area.

I did drive in a few heats of sanctioned events however, and once finished in 2nd place behind Jim Schoch.

There are a lot of drivers with better resumes than myself who wish they could make that statement!

My favorite position in sanctioned races was in the back of a two-man runabout, but now I'm too old and weigh about 125# too much to be competitive.

I do watch longingly as 100# girls now fill that role.

God bless them! They do a great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Provini View Post
    BJuby,
    I have Looper FA-8 with stick tower and Konig gearcase.
    Ed Provini
    Ed, see my earlier post

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    How about this one Gene, Stamp Boy at factory was dyslexic ! Oh I have a six in my shop now for sleeves and it is billet. Also have one from Bruce that he is making as well. And Brandon, your D is all but done now just putting the finishing touches to it, At This time I have more flatheads in my shop for work than I do Konig's and VRP's! Am I back in the late 60's again?? Fun times
    I know you're enjoying it all! I look forward to getting it back and putting it all together!

Thread Information