Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Accounted for Quincy Looper Serial Numbers

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know of FX-18? It is a 44ci looper that is mentioned by John Gabrowski in one of the first threads on this forum. I hope it still exists. I will add it to the list once I have confirmation from someone or him (I sent him an email previously).

Another thought about the lineage of the first "F" Loopers. Is it presumed that the first "F" looper (both 44 OR 60) was the 44ci created without OF Christner's permission? Or could Dick Austin's first 60ci have been created before the 44ci. I am only curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    Anyone know of FX-18? It is a 44ci looper that is mentioned by John Gabrowski in one of the first threads on this forum. I hope it still exists. I will add it to the list once I have confirmation from someone or him (I sent him an email previously).

Another thought about the lineage of the first "F" Loopers. Is it presumed that the first "F" looper (both 44 OR 60) was the 44 ci created without OF Christner's permission? Or could Dick Austin's first 60ci have been created before the 44ci. I am only curious.
    The 44 Looper came first!

Basically; at that time, the "F" class was comprised of 44 and 60 ci Mercury deflectors with a few over bored D Konigs and even fewer very rare 460 Evinrudes & P-500 OMC's.

The P-500 was a pump built by OMC for the USN. P-500 indicated a pump with the capacity of 500 gallons per minute.

The power head was very similar to the 460 and surplus pumps were often converted to an outboard.

The ship I served on had 2 P-500's and we were only authorized to have only 1.

I was responsible for the pumps on our ship and when I was instructed to get rid of the extra P-500, I asked for permission to purchase it for salvage.

The Navy in it's wisdom saw fit to allow me to pitch it overboard and watch it sink out of sight.

A classic example of our tax dollars at work!

Back to the original question. Remember, the first 44 ci Looper was NOT built as an "F". It was built to compete in the "X" class in Knoxville.

The demand for the 44 Looper as an "F" engine was the result of that one-off engine.

The first deflector 44 I ever saw run was in a combined "CDF" class in 1958. The engine was basically a stock MK-58 driven by Bill Seebold Jr.

Bill Seebold Sr. fitted the P/H with alky carbs and raised the ports to stock 55-H specs, nothing else not even a cut down flywheel.

If anyone thinks that extra 4 ci doesn't make a difference, Think again!

Billy (that's what everyone called him then) won both heats. It wasn't long before 44 deflectors became popular in the "F" class!

Re; Your question about Dick Austin, he did build a deflector around that time and like everything else he has done, it was a fantastic piece of craftsmanship.

Perhaps he might post some info on that engine when he finds the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Gene thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for. Yeah, I had forgotten the fact that the first 44 Looper was for that "X" class. Was that an APBA class or a local racing organization?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It was mainly a NOA class. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Correct Steve, it was an NOA event.

Knoxville was the home of NOA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I know the whereabouts of FA179 and a B that may be a prototype. No number and different porting and exhaust bolt pattern. The owner is up north texas right now, and when he gets back I'll have him contact you. He is currently trying to figure out the non serial no. B.
    Did you ever contact this gentleman regarding the B looper that might be a prototype? I tried to PM you but your box is full.

I added another D engine to the list. I know there are more out there!

Post Thanks / Like

I put my eyes on three Loopers today at a Buddy's place. FA199, FD58, and another 4 cylinder without a number... Maybe a 44... It took everything I had not peel a head off it to see...

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks buddy. I know why you want to know about that other 4 cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the list. I find it hard to believe there are only six 6 cylinder loopers left (that includes Bruce Summers'). But guess it makes a little sense because I think Paul Christner has said there were only 15 total 60ci's made. I need to clarify that. I have heard that there are some others, but they don't want to be bothered with constant purchase offers, so they are keeping it to themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 As, 1 B, and 1 D to add to the list, just need their serial numbers.

Thread Information