Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Accounted for Quincy Looper Serial Numbers

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narrowminded View Post
    FB 222 for sale on ebay search quincy looper outboard
    Doesn't come up. Can you please show the item number

Post Thanks / Like

It is no longer for sale. It was up twice on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like

Karen,

Why must you toy with our emotions... LOL! Email me the picture and I will re-size it and email it back to you, or post it for you!
    J-Dub
    JDub47R@Yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yup!

Post Thanks / Like

Karen clear some private message space, your storage is full! I can't respond to your last message

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a couple to add BJuby. Had to scroll through a lot of pages. Very interesting to reread, but could you maybe do an updated list for those that do not have such an interest to follow this thread?

Steve Wetherbee from Corpus Christi, Texas picked up FA44 and FB131 yesterday. FB131 was gummed up as Steve turned the crank. FA44 did not move. Maybe locked up. As of this afternoon when Steve called, both were turning freely after his initial treatment. Steve wants to be able to crank his motors after he gets them pulled apart and put back together.

Here's the part where Paul Christner got excited and Steve called me to report. FA44 was Bruce Nicholson's first looper. FB131 was an RD motor driven by Dick Hoppenwrath. Steve told Paul that the crankcase was unlike any he had every seen. Paul said they were experimenting with intakes and only two or three like that were ever made. Dick was the R&D guy driving when Kikaefer and Quincy were developing the looper motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne thanks for the new looper engines recently discovered. I have been updating the list on the front first page. I do that, rather than redoing the list every time because those posts will get lost in this thread. I could always make a new thread, have it locked so no one can respond, but then people like you can't post their new finds.

I would love to see pictures of that R&D crankcase. Also, speaking of pictures I tried messaging you regarding a photo I was not able to find on this website but your PM inbox is full! I was wondering if you could post or email me (brandon.juby@gmail.com) the photo you took of Jerry Waldman roping over one of his 4 cylinder loopers while in the hydro. The engine has just started and there are people holding up the boat.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good way to handle it Brandon. I didn't know that before. I had checked before I posted to look for the numbers and they weren't there. I checked yesterday and you had already done the update. Maybe at the heading you could add a line "Updated....then have the date". That way people like me or occasional visitors will know that they are looking at the most current info, then wade in to see the stories. This is a very good thread to follow.

I know the picture of Jerry you are talking about Brandon. I looked earlier, but it is mixed in with some other photos I scanned. If I can't find it, I will rescan the negative. It was taken at the race where Jerry was killed. I need to take a look at the photo first because I was in all the heats that Jerry ran and there were no qualifying heats. It was an invitational race. All the drivers were hand picked by the respective team captains. So if it wasn't testing, then it might have been my sister Jan who took the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne thanks for the great idea. I will change the title of the first post (as I did now) each time there are numbers updated. I have also typed a total count of each type that I will also update that makes it easier to see how many there are. Thanks for looking for the photo. Not surprised you remember it as it is a great shot! As it currently stands there are approximately:

A: 28
    B: 29
    C: 17
    D: 16
    F (44): 11
    F (60): 7
    F (66): 1

Post Thanks / Like

I like it Brandon.

I found the photo, and I scanned it, but I had trouble downloading it. I haven't had this problem since a number of years ago when the procedure changed. I'm going to try again, but first a little bit about the picture. I didn't take it. Must have been Baldy or possible pit man Gerel Malmstrom who took a semester of photography at Southwest Texas State.

It was pretty underexposed and took a little work to improve it. It was frame OA preceeded by a half frame. The first good exposed photo was 1-1A and was with Jerry on the water making some laps. Think he was probably breaking in the motor or maybe seating new rings. He was one of the first to arrive and you can see there are no trailers on the other side where there would have been.

It was taken the day before the race. Jerry was in the center of the shot, so I would not have taken it. I would have included the bottom of the boat and propeller for good composition. I think the reason most people would consider it a great picture is because it is not only one of the last taken of Jerry, but as far as I can remember, the only one of him standing in his boat cranking a big motor.

I will try once more to download the picture. If it doesn't work this time, I'm going to have to figure out what has changed or what I'm doing wrong.

Can't make it work.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 12-10-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: trouble downloading photo

Thread Information