Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions about getting started

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about getting started

Hi all newbie here from NE Florida (Jacksonville), very interested in getting into racing an SST, and have some (OK, a lot of) questions, but not knowing anyone who races them, have no one to ask. Hopefully my stream of curiosity won't annoy you guys too much.

I'm brand new to boat racing but not new to racing. I grew up around race cars, spent years roadracing motorcycles. Stopped racing bikes after a really bad crash at Homestead. Tried Sprint cars for a year or so but it didn't really scratch the itch. Now I'm really interested in SST racing and trying to learn all I can. So here goes...............

- At first glance/look I really like the SST45 class. It looks to be popular, used set ups available for less than crippling money, not crazy fast to learn in. But It looks like there aren't a lot of 45 races in the SE vs the 60s, however I really only know about the APBA schedule. Are there other groups I haven't found yet? Once I figure out which end is up I don't mind traveling.

- I'm 5'-9" and about 250, will be in the 220-230 range by the time I'm ready to go. Even when I'm in super shape I'll still be 210 or so and broad shouldered. Can I even comfortably fit in a 45 or 60? It's ok to me if I'm giving away too much weight to be super competitive. My goal is to get lots of seat time as economically as possible before moving up to a larger class where giving away some pounds isn't quite as catastrophic.

- How do you guys do testing/practice? I can't see it being practical to take the race boat out to a local lake and set up buoys. Are there privately owned lakes around that you can pay a fee and test/practice in?
    Last edited by Supercracker; 01-28-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Spellin... I doos it reel gude

Post Thanks / Like

The 45 or 60 would be a good class to get started in. The 60's race in Lakeland FL. in March and also in Knoxville later in the summer. Visit APR Superleague, Orange Cup Regatta, Powerboat Nationals, and Twin City Powerboat Association, and Buckeye outboard. I think the schedules for 45's and 60's are a little fluid at this point in the year.

You can fit in a capsule. I'm 6'3" and 202-208 in race shape. I've raced as heavy as high 220's before. Not ideal by any means but you can go out and be competitive. Get started in one of these classes, then maybe move up to a v6 where your weight wouldn't be as crucial.

I test at my local lake. It is owned/run by the Army Corp of Engineers. I have people along in a pontoon boat for safety/support-very important. I just go to a cove a little out of the way of the main traffic, I use the little orange-floaty-spot markers that fishermen use to well, mark their spots-I guess. You can buy them at walmart. I tie a gallon milk jug full of sand on it to weigh it down and then buy the big yellow smiley face helium ballons at the local dollar tree store and tie them on so I can see my four corners. People stay out of my way for the most part. Typically people will stop a fair distance away and just watch, including the boat commission guys on patrol. When they see that we are being serious and safe, they don't give us trouble. I do have to have a Pennsylvania registration for the boat.

I know of some boats for sale. You can email me any more questions you have and I'll try to help. phood@cisneyodonnell.com

Hope this helps

Toby

Post Thanks / Like

You should want to start in a smaller class like 45 or 60. Depending how much traveling you would like to do and how many races you want to run a year will help with that decision. The national schedule for 45's (Formula Lights) can be found at www.usf1powerboat.com. The Series events will have about 15-18 entries for 45's. I do not know that answer for the 60's, Toby could probably answer that for you.

We are located in Miami and can help you in any way you need. We normally go test in the Ocala area a few times a year. Let me know if you have any more questions and any of us would be glad to answer them for you.

Jose
    "Racin Is Livin, Everything Else Is Waitin"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Looking at those national schedules is what made me lean towards the 45. That amount of traveling wouldn't be too tall of an order. My bigger concern would be getting to a level where I belong at those events prior to making those trips. From what I can glean from the forums it looks like getting and running a decent 45 set up is about on par with a decent short track car or front of the middle of the pack superbike. Maybe a little more traveling, but not much more. With no tires to buy I would think it would have to be cheaper to run once you're there.

mxp, I figured that was going to be the deal for testing. Florida is about 75% lake so I'm sure a suitable location can be found. Finding a person to act as a safety crew would be a much taller order though.

I plan on being at Bradenton and Lakeland to check things out. It appears as though a healthy percentage of racers are from down here in FL.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be in Bradenton. I would like to chat with you some more and answer more of your questions. We will be boat #21

Jose Jr.
    "Racin Is Livin, Everything Else Is Waitin"

Thread Information