Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Champion Hot Rod engines for sale

Team Member

Well you might have a good point. Ill have to do some more leg work to see if I can find out more about parts. Do you know where i can find info on these new hot rod motors being built, i am guessing they are going to use the same parts as mine? Paul

Ron Selewach (813-879-4200, ext. 12 or rselewach@hrmc.com)

or

Ed Runne (973-948-8885 or sled7j@earthlink.net)

Main motor parts will be the same, but the Carter N carbs and point ignition were replaced by newer stuff in the 1970's & 1980's.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member

I have more questions should a make a new post in another area or just keep going with this one? All of my engines have tiltision carbs.

Tillotson HR 57's? Tillotson still supplies parts for that carb. GoKart & Snowmobile catalogs have them

Tillotson KA? Used on Mercs, not really a Hot Rod carb anyway.

Team Member

Carb # hr16b. When did they stop making these engines?

I think you can still get parts for the HR16B carbs

Champion went out of business in 1958

In the early 1960's a few (maybe a few hundred) were assembled by Ernie? Swanson

And in the 1970's again a few hundred were made by Dave Little as "American Hot Rods"

What does the flywheel look like? Similar to a Merc Mk20H? or does it look like an OMC flywheel or a Motoplat?

Team Member

Default Hot Rod Pics

Paul e-mailed me these pics of the Hot Rod stuff and I am taking the liberty to post them...trader
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Team Member

Default merc parts

As far as parts for the 50s mercs. You can get anything you want. Check grubs marine.

Yep, www.oldmercs.com has a lot of parts, but most of the critical parts are not available even from them. A bunch of examples ... KA7A carb or kit for it and 2 7/16" pistons in any size ... over size pistons and rings, maybe .030 over .... maybe a 20H flywheel .... nope, only a very few parts are actually available on Grubb's site or anywhere. Actually much less is available for a Merc than is available for the Hot Rod and nothing compared to what you will be able to get for the HR in a few months. Examples: lower unit, Hot Rod yes, Merc no. Pistons, Hot Rod yes, Merc no. Hot Rod crankshaft yes, 20H crankshaft, no.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 10-29-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Default KA7A kit????

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    Yep, www.oldmercs.com has a lot of parts, but most of the critical parts are not available even from them. A bunch of examples ... KA7A carb or kit for it and 2 7/16" pistons in any size ... over size pistons and rings, maybe .030 over .... maybe a 20H flywheel .... nope, only a very few parts are actually available on Grubb's site or anywhere. Actually much less is available for a Merc than is available for the Hot Rod and nothing compared to what you will be able to get for the HR in a few months. Examples: lower unit, Hot Rod yes, Merc no. Pistons, Hot Rod yes, Merc no. Hot Rod crankshaft yes, 20H crankshaft, no.
    Sam, what do you mean by saying you cannot find a "kit" for a KA7A? The high speed needle and long nozzle is available, along with gaskets, float, needle and seat. Rings are available in STD, .015, and .030 for the 2 7/16" pistons. Pistons are out there in NOS, mostly standard sized. If you know and ask the right people, the parts are not that hard to find. The 20H flywheel (racing use) this gentleman is not concerned with, is maybe the hardest item to find. Gears (1:1 and 16:21) are available, along with housings (25SS), prop shafts, bearings, seals, water pump cartridge, etc, are all available for the A/B/C quickies. Only part not available right now is the driveshaft, which is not that far off from being produced either. The biggest problem with "rebuilding", etc these old Mercs, is that is is going to be expensive to do, if you choose to go the ALL NEW route.

DON'T expect the NEW Hot Rod parts that are going to be available will be cheap either.......

you want a "racing engine".........then expect to pay alot more! You want to do something "less expensive", stick to a "fishing/pleasure type" engine.......

if you are not planning on racing, then DO NOT waste your money on an old racing motor, unless you have an UNLIMITED amount of $$$ to throw at them.

if you are planning on racing, then buy a more modern racing engine........

"collectors" are the ones responsible for making parts needed by racers so expensive..........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information