Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75 short shaft hustler build ( beginner please help! )

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 75 short shaft hustler build ( beginner please help! )

I'm Building an OMC 75 Short Shaft Hustler/Stinger. I've taken a lot of notes from this site, but still need advice on what I should do. This motor will be a river motor and probably be used on one of the new Fancy aluminum speedy duck boats coming out of Arkansas. I would like to do some light-medium mods, but keep the motor dependable.

I have the following parts:

- Getting a 1969 55hp 3 cylinder Evinrude center section with a 1978 75hp tuner

- An 81' model 49er fishing motor

- An 80' Stinger with club foot

- A 30" tiller handle off of a V4 evinrude

Questions:

What are the advantages of the 56er over the 49er?

Will the 49 crank fit a 56 block? (I know some of the later 56ers have a diff spline)

Will the top-end speeds be much different between the two?

Should I build a 49er since I already have the blocks on hand?

Will the 56er bolt right on to my mid? The front half of the case is the same right?

Post Thanks / Like

56's have more low end torque. Yes the 49 cranks will fit a 56 block. The 56 should bolt up to the mid but you'll need the exhaust and powerhead adapter plate for the 56 cube.

Post Thanks / Like

The 56er will bolt up to the mid, you will have to do a little grinding on the inside of the mid to create a little clearance in order for the 56er adapter plate to fit. The 56er power head bolts are larger so you will have to drill out the bolt holes on the mid also.

As noted above 49er crank will fit 56 block, and yes the front halves are the same.

Both are good motors.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the adapter plate for the 56 something aftermarket you buy to make the poweRhead fit?

Post Thanks / Like

There are aftermarket 56er adapter plates, either the sst60 adapter plate and tuner from Seaway or HeviKevi here in Ontario has nice billet machined ones with tuner.http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...9-stinger-swap

The less expensive route is to simply grab a adapter plate off the long shaft mid section that the 56er power head came off.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference between the aftermarket adapter plates and the stock plate off a long shaft mid section? Is it something with the drive shaft length or the exhaust tuner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camohunter View Post
    What is the difference between the aftermarket adapter plates and the stock plate off a long shaft mid section? Is it something with the drive shaft length or the exhaust tuner?
    Aftermarket has solid motor mount incorporated in adapter plate, SST60 spec tuner which is an upgrade over cut off stock tuner, Kevin's adapter plate also allows wing plates to be bolted to adapter plate versus head bolts

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the good information.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Stinger intake ports are in a high state of tune, finger ports add about 10 hp

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    Stinger intake ports are in a high state of tune, finger ports add about 10 hp
    Finger ports are one the intake side right? I saw where you marked yours with the dye. Do you cut your own or send to a machine shop. How the hell do you get in them cylinders to cut?

Thread Information