Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Speed boat simulator in development

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wrote an article about chine walk. Discuss!

http://www.speedboatsim.com/chine-walk-tech/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Three minutes running the sim on the Oculus Rift:

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very amazing at what you have done. The bow seems a little high to me but the reactions look good. One thing I might suggest is that even though you are on calm water, you might try to plug in crossing your own wake after you did the turn. There should have been two or three bumps and some turning prior to the first wake and then correcting as you crossed it back into smooth water. I haven't followed this thread all the way through, so this might have been brought up earlier, but in the interest of being realistic I thought I should mention it. Besides that, I think you are doing a remarkable job with your simulation.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Waves are a very computationally expensive thing to do, especially waves that are created by the boat itself. It's something I've got some ideas on, but it'll take time and I'm not entirely sure it'll work. What I'd really like to see is the boat creating its own bow wave during planing so the prop will lift up out of the water and ventilate when it goes over the hump. Very expensive computationally and a difficult thing to do though, especially a wake that extends across a large area like an entire lake that you can cross back over on the return trip. This all has to run in real time and not require a supercomputer to solve, after all. Whether it happens or not, it's in my "maybe some day" mental checklist at least for the time being.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably upwards of 10-12 years ago I did experiment with it briefly. This is terribly ugly graphics here, but it shows some physics in the water at least with something moving through it. Something like this might be possible on today's hardware if it's constrained to a small area of water that moves with the boat. I.e., doing it for an entire lake might be a problem, but perhaps it might work for the area around the boat. Some day I would like to try it though.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This next one is much more recent using the prettier graphics. These waves are done with real time physics, it's not some prerendered animation trick. So.... Maybe some day but it won't be anytime soon.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    The bow seems a little high to me but the reactions look good.
    Keep an eye on the trim gauge (each tick is 2 degrees). I was intentionally hanging the bow up about as high as it could go without blowing over in a lot of that video to make it more interesting and get some chine walk going. Just going for mad air. At max speed the angle of attack is not normally that high of course.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Todd. My kids and grandkids do video games and can see all the pointers and stuff going on, but I can't follow it. When I was racing, I never looked at any gauges and just drove by feel, had no gauges or anything to look at. Like I said, I had followed this thread at first and then I got busy and had not seen some of the in between tweaks and advances you had made, but I could see you have been doing an excellent job of mimicking a V bottom although I have never driven one in competition. Seems like doing a V bottom would be harder than other boats, and I guess that's why you chose that one. Hat's off to you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Added support for twin and triple outboard setups today. Here's a new trailer showing that off:

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaderboards for top speed shootout runs have been added. Here's a blast down the mile on the Rift:

Thread Information